Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How About
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914gem
Just finished building and putting on 20 guage aluminum skins on the doors of a 55 Chevy and it made the doors a lot lighter. I looker at the doors and both trunk lids on the 914 and it looks more simple to do than the 55. On the doors the guard rail could be cut out while doing new skins. Has any one done this before and if so how much weight was taken off.
Andyrew
Theres really not a whole lot of weight to be lost. Maybt 50 lbs max doing the front trunk, rear trunk, and both front fenders....

Not worth it.
914gem
50lb ? would that include taking out the guard rails in the doors?
Brad Roberts
The rails are a tad over 15lbs a piece (weighed them after cutting them out a few years back)

B
Mueller
you'd save way more than 50lbs...the problem with aluminum is that it is not as forgiving as a composite skin is...hit a big @ss bug at speed with an aluminum hood and it's going to leave a dent sad.gif
914gem
OK, I might do it because my brain won't leave me alone late at night.
brant
QUOTE(914gem @ Jul 22 2004, 05:29 AM)
OK, I might do it because my brain won't leave me alone late at night.

914gem,

DO IT...
I badly want to do this..
a lot of vintage race classes would not allow composite, but would allow metal panels...

I haven't had the time or the skill to try this, but want to....

do it and let us know how it goes...
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.