Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil coolers ..again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
So not sure if this has been covered before but lookin at the latest "Excellence" got me thinking.
Has any one ever installed a OE 911 oil cooler in the stock (for 911) fenderwell location on a teener and if so how succesfull-functional was it? unsure.gif
Im not interested in cuttin modifying the frt. bumper/valance for the optimal cooler location.
914werke
Bump mad.gif
Dominic
I have sucessfully installed an oil cooler (the real radiator type, not a cheap one that looks like a base board heater) in the forward right rear wheel well and used a small 6" 12v fan to move air through it. When I turned the fan on, I could watch the oil temp decrease and the oil pressure increase. I connected it with a MOCAL thermostat sandwich adapter plate under the oil filter, also used Aeroquip AN-10 S.S. braided lines and fittings. Worked Great!
I may have some pictures on my other computer, I'll have to check.

Disclaimer: This was a street car, not a race car.
cha914
Rich,

Back when I was researching oil coolers I did see a few posts about people who had done this and only had limited success. I put a very small cooler in my front trunk and just cut the space between the three middle holes of the front trunk. I bet you could get away with just pulling the plugs on those holes and letting the air pass into the cooler.

The other very trick setup I have seen was a guy who put two small coolers behind the grills for the fog lights. He ran them in series and got very good results (his was a track car)... you could only just see them if you looked hard, and he didn't have to cut anything I believe.

Finally there was the rear trunk option which Dominic is talking about, I almost did this one, but then realized that I don't care about cutting the front trunk and might as well have the cooler where it can do the most good. I read several reports of people who had good luck with the rear trunk version, but they were all street cars, and I have heard several others who saw little gain, and ended up putting the cooler up front.

Anyway, it would be pretty easy to give the fender option a try, and if it didn't work as well as you like you could always extend the lines into the front trunk...

good luck,

Tony
914werke
Thanks Guys I thought about pulling the plugs in the frt trunk but it seems that the gap between bumper and valance being the the only access for incoming air then choked to the plug holes seemed like wasted effort.
Dom If you have Pic I like to see them. Did you mount it vertical or horizontal (to the ground)?
Dominic
I actually mounted mine forward of the rear tire in the wheel well, Not under the trunk.
It was pretty trick with some close tollerances but worked out fine.

But the next I oil cooler I do will go under the trunk, but the air for cooling will be plumbed from another location and there won't be any heat exchanger below it, cause the header comes out on the other side. biggrin.gif
I'll make it WORK ! smash.gif
GaroldShaffer
I don't have a pic of this, but one of the guys that comes to our 914 breakfast has one mounted on the engine lid. Works well and yes this is a track car but it also sees street use, he drives it to the diffferent track events (Hi Jon wavey.gif )

I will get a pic of his setup at our next breakfast on August 14th.
cha914
I did forget about the valance, I cut about a 2in x 6 in hole in mine...you could always just buy another valance and do the same to test it...with some black screen you would barely be able to see it.

Shoot, if you just want to drop the temps some, I bet you could do one small cooler in one of the driving light grills like i mentioned above, it would defin be better than the fender mounted one you car considering.

Tony
Dominic
Some pics of my oil cooler and thermostat sandwich plate!
Dominic
More pics
Dominic
Last One
maf914
Dominic,

That is one clean engine! You must have just done a major installation? Nice! smilie_pokal.gif
machina
I thought about venting out the headlight bucket like this or mounting the cooler behind the foglight grille.

Now I have decided to try running dual coolers at the rear of the car. There is a production 914 that has run this way for years very succesfully. Don't think this arrangement would be good for a street car though.

Another issue is that the length of oil lines to the front is almost double than runnig even both coolers at the rear. For a wet sump like a TIV, I think this could be an issue.

dr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.