Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
I have a new mallory cintrifical advance ignition installed in my new engine. Is there a special procedure to correctly time this unit to get the best out of it? what degree do I set it at?

Bernie
bernbomb914
bump
MXMARK
I bougt the Mallory, I set mine at 12 at idle and 28 at max advance, with the gray/gray springs. I have heard that the type 4 motors like this but I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Info http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...0569&hl=mallory

There are 2 torx screws on my Mallory with vacuum. I set the total advance so that it would advance 16 degreese on the crank max. I use an adjustable timming light to see where max advance was and idle timming. If you don't limit the advance then your idle timming will float around. The 16 limit that I have does not change the max it just holds the idle timming in place. If you use the factory settings on the screws you may have 20 max advance so if you have 28 max you only have 8 at idle. If you have max setting open with the screws I think it is 24 so at 28 max you would be at 4 at idle. 8 degrees change in the dizzy should equal 16 degrees on the crank (is that right?) (where are my notes). You should find the best settigs that your car likes with no detonation.

My car is a 2533 Fat Motor. It used to idle at 500 rpm and still can but I wanted more oil pressure at idle. I have heard the advance should start 100 rpm after idle and be all in by 2300. Mine starts at 12 at 900 and is all in 28 by 2300 or some where close I don't have my notes in front of me. I also us the vacuum can to advance part throttle to about 34 max with vacuum on the freeway. seems to really get rid of the 009 flat spot that I would feel ever so slightly . I hope this helps. Mark

I am tired so I could be way off. Mark
maf914
Bernie,

You might want to go over to the Shop Talk Forums and do a search for Mallory distributor. Try the Type4 and Aircooled Technology forums. Mallory setup recommendations have been discussed several times. Mark's setup sounds similar to those discussed.

http://shoptalkforums.com/
MXMARK
Bernie, did you get it dialed in yet. I took my dizzy out each time to adjust the total advance. I think you can leave your in and loosen the screws to decrease the amount that the dizzy is allowed advance. Some of the spring kits have degree keys in them. I just experimented until I got 16 degrees.

What has been done to your motor. Will 28 degrees be too High Or Low for your motor.

If you set the dizzy at 28 total at 3500 then check the idle setting ,If it is too high say 13+ then open the gap with the screws. If the it is too low say 6- then close up the gap with the screws. Again I hope this helps. Mark
bernbomb914
its a 2270 full on with 44 weber carbs, ceramic lifters, split duration cam, ported heads ,larger valves, etc. I dont want to kill it with the wrong timing. I dont know what springs are in the ignition we didnt change anything.

Bernie
Jake Raby
What cam does it have??

Try this for tuning..

135 main jets(if you have the 36mm vents)
200 airs
F11 emulsion

Run 28 degrees full advance at 3500 RPM.... Then set up your initial at around 12-14 degrees, and run the grey/grey springs...

97% of my engines like that, but my camshaft profiles are really wacky compared to the off the shelf grinds, and that does make a big difference..
MXMARK
I would think the gray/ gray springs would be the best. When you take the cover off to see the springs are the springs the same or different? From the factory the dizzy has two distinctly different springs.
MXMARK
I can't compete with the master Jake, Thank you Again . Jake Idle speed should be ? 900 to 1000 ?Sorry, I type slow and think slow. Mark
bernbomb914
Thanks to both of you clap56.gif

Bernie

ps the cam is a split duration 163/? by web
MXMARK
Do you have the gray/gray springs? We should go for a drive when you are done. I am only up the freeway from you by Lake Mathews. If you need more help PM me. Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.