Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here is one to add to the FAQ's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Toast
When you add a picture to your avatar settings that is located on your computer, how do you get it to not be so pixelated.

I have tried to post pics that I though were the same size, but some are very pixelated. I see a coupel members have avatars that have pixels showing.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Toast @ Jul 22 2004, 12:42 PM)
I have tried to post pics that I though were the same size, but some are very pixelated. I see a coupel members have avatars that have pixels showing.

your avatar picture is 540 x 360.
the BBS only allows 125 x 125 max, so your pic will be automatically "resized" by the BBS (just for display, mind you, members on dialup will still hate you cause they have to download the full picture).

the best way to make your own avatar is to shrink your picture on your computer using your favorite photo-editing software.
shrink it to fit into the 125 x 125 limit to keep the proportions, make whichever dimension is the larger to fit 125 pixel, the other dimension will be smaller)
use 72 dpi for the resolution and save it as a JPG with medium compression.

then, when uploading your avatar, make sure you specify the actual width and height correctly.

voila! you got yourself an un-pixelated avatar!
wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
your current avatar pic ...

IPB Image
bondo
Personally, (I'm not on dialup) I like to be able to right click on an avatar and see the full size image in a new window (doesn't seem to work in IE barf.gif ), especially when the avatar contains nudity smile.gif
campbellcj
Some of us actually optimize the color depth and compression level "on purpose" to save bandwidth even though it does compromise quality of the image. FWIW my avatar is under 3KB so would load in around half a second on a good dialup line...whereas that (very cool) tornado pic will take about 14 seconds to load...
Jeroen
Here's the tornado pic
Resized to 125 x 83 pixels

cheers,

Jeroen
bondo
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 23 2004, 09:03 AM)
Here's the tornado pic
Resized to 125 x 83 pixels

cheers,

Jeroen

Now how about a hi-res version of your avatar? smile.gif
Jeroen
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.