Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New vacuum lines-no vacuum leaks-what a difference!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
Installed new vacuum lines, oil cap seals, fuel tank seals on my 75 1.8. I thought it would take care of the vacuum leak, bring the idle to 500 and that would be it. I was surprised I felt like I had much more power, especially in 5th gear, and I will say that driving in great excess beyond the speed limit was VERY easy.

I didn't think the vacuum leak would make that big of a difference-wrong! For those that know they have a vacuum leak but haven't fixed it, it is worth the time and money!
McMark
The 1.8 L-Jet is especially vulnerable to vacuum leaks because the air that 'sneaks in' doesn't have the corresponding fuel added. So you end up running lean. Getting the correct air-fuel ratio makes a huge difference. You'll notice lower oil temps as well (if you have a guage).

Nice work! thumb3d.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Oct 4 2011, 02:55 PM) *

Installed new vacuum lines, oil cap seals, fuel tank seals on my 75 1.8. I thought it would take care of the vacuum leak, bring the idle to 500 and that would be it. I was surprised I felt like I had much more power, especially in 5th gear, and I will say that driving in great excess beyond the speed limit was VERY easy.

I didn't think the vacuum leak would make that big of a difference-wrong! For those that know they have a vacuum leak but haven't fixed it, it is worth the time and money!

That is music to my ears. I am currently on the tail-end of a major reseal project and will be installing all new vacuum and fuel lines, tank seals, etc. The car ran well before, but it leaked everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Judging by the condition of the lines that I took off and the spark plugs, there is no way I didn't have a vacuum leak before.
76-914
beerchug.gif Congrats. There is this general fear amongst some 914 owners. It's hoseaphobia. It can be noted that once they overcome this fear they're car will generally experience some miraculous results. If left unattended it can develop into full blown, and I believe the medical term is, hoseatitus. Hoseatitus left untreated will develope into full blown diagnoshits. It happens over 25 times a year at this site alone. More on this phenomenom later.
PBC914
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Oct 4 2011, 05:55 PM) *

I left out that one hose was not attached, and had a small bolt screwed into it. One hose was not attached correctly, one hose was severely cracked on both ends. Stupid POs, makes me wonder WTH they were thinking! Anyway problem solved and now on to the next project-leaking oil cooler seals! Yeah baby!
Ian Stott
First thing I did when I got my teener was the complete hose kit, and you are right what a difference it makes!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Now start cleaning up all your wiring, that too will impress the hell outta ya!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Oct 4 2011, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(PBC914 @ Oct 4 2011, 05:55 PM) *

I left out that one hose was not attached, and had a small bolt screwed into it. One hose was not attached correctly, one hose was severely cracked on both ends. Stupid POs, makes me wonder WTH they were thinking! Anyway problem solved and now on to the next project-leaking oil cooler seals! Yeah baby!

Are you sure that your cooler seals are leaking? I am pretty certain that those are the only two seals on my car that WEREN'T leaking. My biggest problem on the front of the engine was the front main. From what I have read, the oil cooler seals rarely leak, but are commonly mis-diagnosed as the cause. Check your oil pressure switch as well. It will leak down over the cooler making diagnosis difficult. beerchug.gif
Valy
I would ask where did you get all the hoses from?
Especially the breather hose?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.