Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift coupler gave up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Nearly didn't make it home. Had to baby the shifter and just wound up 3rd on the back road. Got home to find the cone screw stripped out of the coupler. must have been buggered up for awhile. shifting was getting worse little by little this past two days. Duh? Part on order.

SOOOOO what else will I do "while I'm in there?" It just boggles w00t.gif the mind.

Probably chewed 2nd and or reverse a few times so we will see if the spare tranny make it in the car later on. smash.gif
Cap'n Krusty
"Part on order"? Why not a helicoil? Coupla bucks vs about $60-80..................... The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
Yup thought about it and decided I am tired of being a Cheap SOB. (no offense) The piece is pretty chewed up and really don't want to have to do this over and over. Had to bang the part off the forward rod like the hole is oblong or something.

It is a Porsche and should be fixed right. Maybe I can get 30 more years out of it.
watsonrx13
Wow, sorry to hear the problem with the shift coupler, at least you made it home safely.

That's the ticket, fix it and fix it right the first time. smash.gif

Good thing you have the M/C for stand-by daily transportation.
Joe Ricard
Be a cold day in hell when I take the Mini to work. I think I will be religated to the explorer now. But since I ride my Bicycle most days the gas tank should stay full longer.
john rogers
Did you check to see if the coupler came with the bushings and the set screw? I bought one several years ago and I seem to remember that it was bare? at any rate I now use the aircraft type and they have NOOOO slop at all. Of course they do cost more but are steel, not cast pot metal.... Good luck
Brad Roberts
Little side note here:

Always replace the cone screws with new ones EVERY time you pull the shift rod out of the car. They are a one time use piece.

Oh.. dont use Loctite on them. You will be hating yourself the next time you have to pull the shift rod out.

B
GS9146Driver
Thanks for the tip on the cone screws. I just had the shifter coupling bushings go out on my "six" as I down shifted to get on the freeway. All I had was 4th and 5th. I knew what it was, had the same thing happen to me '74 1.8 last year on the same on ramp. Wow, kinda' spooky huh? blink.gif
Later, George
Brad Roberts
Cool that your are learning what the different failures feel like. clap56.gif

B
Joe Ricard
Yup how many people know that there is a piece of nylon in those screws. pray.gif
Brad Roberts
Check this out:

I was working on a customers 914 and installing new cone screws.. I pulled one out of the bag of 50 or so that we stock and went to install it with my 4mm allen socket... couldnt get the allen into the cone screw.. I'm thinking WTF ? I looked into it.. they didnt machine the cone screw for the allen.. perfectly round/smooth on the inside. First time I had ever seen a manufacturing defect in a CONE SCREW..LOL

B
Andyrew
Hey B, where do we find the screws?

I just pulled the engine monday.. and well, the screw wouldnt come out, so i had some choices.. cut a notch in the screw and use a flat beefy screwdriver with a vicegrip.. BUT dad said "Just drill it out" Ha.. ya, like it was that easy..

So, I'll either get another one from the guy that bought my engine (nice guy, offered it to me, and I'll take him up on the offer, If I cant find my spare..)

So, im in the same boat...
Brad Roberts
Come on now.. I thought that private school taught you to read a few years back ?? LOL

I pulled one out of the bag of 50 or so that we stock

B
Andyrew
Yes, that is why I posted of where YOU GET YOURS... I was wondering if it was a "FLAPS" item.. or if its a HPH Special!

Unless I need to actually buy something from you guys....

how much?

Does it come with a nifty HPH window sticker? wink.gif
Brad Roberts
I buy mine from Porsche or WorldPack or SSF or Westex.

I'll give you a windshield banner... but you have to show up to events with it..

B
Andyrew
I have to get my car running first...

the v8 is back from the shop.. All looks great.. so It could be 3 weeks, a month, 2 months.. All depends on how long Steve takes getting his parts to me...

Iffin you have a little sticker, I could plop a couple on the 944's.. I'd be glad to advertise you guys.. As you know we take the 44's everywhere...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.