Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach intermittent
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
When I first got the car running, the tachometer was only working intermittently. When it was idling, sometimes the tach would show zero. When I blip the pedal, it would start working. Now it doesn't work no matter what I do. I did a search of the sight and checked the common problems, fuse #9 is good, as are all fuses. I verified the wiring at the coil. What else might be causing this problem? 1974 stock 1.8 with L-jet.
john rogers
The tach signal wire goes from the coil connector into the rear connector of the relay board, through the relay board and out the front connector, with the wire harness up to the dash to the tach. You can troubleshoot all those connections or do as I did on my race car and just run a new wire through the tunnel and bypass all the connectors and possible places to have issues. Good luck.
94teener
Grab a long wire, connect one end to the tach signal on the coil (terminal #1), run the wire through the window and up to and connect to the tach.

If the tach works well, then you know that a bad connection in the car wiring is the fault. If otherwise, you will have a defective tach.

Phil
Ctrout
Thanks Phil. I'll try that. I like your avatar by the way. I was at the airshow and witnessed that crash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.