Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Honest opinion on my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steveherman
ok here are pictures from my ad in the classifieds.
curious how much i should sell it for?
if i wanted to sell it tonite (or tomorrow) and take a loss what should/could i reasonably ask for it to move it QUICKLY?
and is my price unreasonable based on the nada values right now?

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
mepstein
$8K - would probably get it sold. Your current selling price is so high, it probably turns people off. It doesn't matter how much you have in it, how much your loosing, or what book value says. The only thing that matters is what buyers are willing to pay. Nice looking car and best of luck with your sale.

* I've never looked at nada values.
* Just my opinion since you asked.
Tom_T
I do look at recent comparable sales & current competition, as well as the guidelines.

Whether selling or buying - the trick is to objectively place the car you selling/drooling over in the appropriate level of condition & value.

Check these:
http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/bu...guide/856880138

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/197...arga-2-0/Values (add your local zip to start - EDIT: looks like you've checked here by your ad)

Then it all comes down to how fast you want/need to sell.......or if you really want to sell at all! My guess is your current asking is a wait for it price, while Mark's $8k is a sell it quick price. I don't think that your price it too high necessarily, but you'll need a bit more patience & wider exposure to get it (dare I say, evil-bay dry.gif ).

Also, we're in an economic slump, so those who can & choose to hang on & sell later after a recovery, will probably get better prices again hopefully matching those mid-2000's pre-recession values for 914s.

It seems like you've only had this 914 a short time, so maybe keep it, enjoy your handiwork for awhile, & find another way to pay for that Harley! biggrin.gif

Good Lick either way Steve!
Cheers, beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JRust
Yeah I would agree at 8k it should sell. Looks like a good solid car. Nada values suck for real value. Heading into winter I would say pricing is going to be lower. Best of luck whatever you do. I hope you get more smile.gif
johannes
Very nice ! ... Are those seats original or reupholstered ?

?

SUNAB914
I agree 8k for a solid car like that. I like it!
steveherman
QUOTE(johannes @ Oct 5 2011, 12:22 PM) *

Very nice ! ... Are those seats original or reupholstered ?

?

reupholstered with the remade porsche material that AA has
but did not get from AA
brant
The 914 market is different than it was in 2007
the cars really are not worth as much as they used to be
they have honestly devalued about 3k from what the books and magazines are saying. And there will always be someone selling that "has to sell" meaning there are always bargains out there keeping the values down

you need pictures of the hell hole and longitudinals with the covers off

I'd say 7,000 maybe 7,500
IronHillRestorations
Brant is spot on, and so is the $8k quick sale price. It all depends on your time frame.

Pictures of the typical rusty areas are crucial for potential buyers that know these cars. If your car is nice and pristine where a 914 usually rusts, that's a huge plus. From the pics posted, I'd want to see more of the "hell hole", the black paint in the engine bay is a warning flag for me.

The used market is soft now (except for high MPG grocery getters), so patience is another component to getting your price.

There's other factors too, such as personal color preference. Some people just want a good car, some people won't buy a good car in a color they don't like.
tradisrad
Out of date registration on california plates in florida. what is up with that?
looks like a nice car.
Like others are saying price it to sell; if it's not what you want for the car then you may need to wait for the economy to improve (if you can wait that long).
steveherman
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Oct 5 2011, 03:45 PM) *

looks like a nice car.
Like others are saying price it to sell; if it's not what you want for the car then you may need to wait for the economy to improve (if you can wait that long).

when i bought it i started doing work on it,
joe at series 9 finished it last week.
it is now registered and insured in florida
Series9
Since I've been all over this car, I think I can offer some pretty fair observations.

Pros:

A very clean car that would make a nice daily driver. The seats are cool and well-done and get a lot of attention. The Djet is fully intact. Transaxle shifts well with no grinding. The clutch is good. The brakes are totally new all the way around.

Cons:

The repaint is pretty good, but it's driver-quality, not show car.

I agree that $8k is the correct price at this time.
tradisrad
QUOTE(steveherman @ Oct 5 2011, 02:56 PM) *

looks like a nice car.

Good answer.
One thing I look at when buying cars is the plate. If it's an old car, say a 1999, (in CA) I would expect the plate to start with the #4. If the plate started with the #6 I would wonder why the car had been re-plated. Any how, it raises suspicion.
One thing I can say is that you likely have the original blue CA plate. Mine starts with a “6” and it was re-plated as it had been off of the road for over 25 years.

I think the car looks great and it will sell...
rick 918-S
I was in Florida this summer and I have seen this car up close at Joes.

Anyone shopping that is serious about getting a driver and not a project that will be stalled on jack stands for the rest of the next two years should get this.

Oh, and the price is up to you Steve. But I think $ 8,000.00 is stealing it even in this market. Sorry to see you sell it so soon after you finished it up. But I know you will be back with another car. Your addicted.

BTW: interesting how the value and price in preceived from the coasts to the northern central states. (rust belt..)
vwsamba
I think we all failed to read that if he wants to sell it tonight or tomorrow. The only way that will happen is to cut the price to probably half so a dealer or reseller will snap it up. $4k ish and someone will buy it without seeing it etc. Best of luck beerchug.gif
Andyrew
If it was on the west coast, id say 6k-7k. Its a hard market here..
wertygrog
Sad to see you sell the car after helping you out with it last summer. I hope you enjoyed driving it though!

This is a really nice car and should sell at $8k...especially with the nice pushrod tube seals and other stuff we installed. biggrin.gif

Hopefully you'll be back in the game sometime soon!
Chris Pincetich
I have not looked at the classified ad at all
Honestly, from the photos, I think your 914
should be sold for $12-13k (highest Excellence #s)
will sell for $7-9k in time
will sell quickly at $5k
very quickly under $5k

I've always had the $5k price point in my head as the cut-off for 914s; above and they must be excellent condition drivers, below and they are good drivers, unique projects, or works in progress.
Good luck beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(steveherman @ Oct 5 2011, 05:56 PM) *

looks like a nice car.

What did you have done by joe at series 9? It will help a lot for prospective buyers to have new clean pictures-, know all the work that has been done, and as stated by others, pictures of the longs, undercarriage, suspension, hell hole etc.

very nice car!!( is it currently listed in classifieds?- i had not seen but was not looking, either)

I like the 2.0 and it is them most desirable out there,
if i had space for another , i would be interested.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.