Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT/SPC "Ran When Parked," "Duel Carbs & Exhaust"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
"Ran When Parked," "Duel Carbs & Exhaust" & other old car euphemisms
....and linguistic faux pas! huh.gif

Feel free to add your own 914-isms & related multi-maker word plays here......

I was a fan of Norm Crosby's humor back in the 1960's & 70's. He was actually a comedian with a Masters in English Lit. from Penn State IIRC, who coined such "funnies" as: "Blabbing Brook" & other misuses of words as his comedy act.

In that spirit, it always gives me a giggle when someone mentions their dueling carbs or exhaust, which is precisely why I liked my 73 914-2.0 from the start - no friggin' carbs to synchronize so they wouldn't duel with each other! biggrin.gif

The other one is "Ran When Parked" - which applies to not only my car which ran when I parked it in my garage in June 1985 & up to about 87 once a month, but not since! sad.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

But these "Ran when Parked" examples have me beat by a long shot! lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

(Disclaimer: not really advertised as such, but pix a friend sent to me & funny as hell anyway! laugh.gif )

Warped I know, but I need to keep a good humor on this project, in order to keep chipping away at it, while keeping up on the other 2 old cars & house/garage resto's & honey dooo list! dry.gif

Any other funnies? popcorn[1].gif
speed metal army
ROPOC=Rusted out piece of crap! biggrin.gif
underthetire
I love the it just needs a (insert small part here) to run again. If it was that easy, why wouldn't they fix it and get more money.
bembry
I always liked "Just needs a little TLC". That usually means: "a total piece of crap that needs just about everything fixed, especially the things I half-assed years ago, but will you take it off my hands please?"
moparrob
QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 5 2011, 06:58 AM) *

I always liked "Just needs a little TLC". That usually means: "a total piece of crap that needs just about everything fixed, especially the things I half-assed years ago, but will you take it off my hands please?"

agree.gif
Also, for some reason people who are selling 30+ year old cars seem to believe the original R-12 air cond. "only needs a recharge" to get it working again. In 35 years of buying and selling cars I have never seen this to be true.
Tom_T
QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 5 2011, 06:58 AM) *

That's also a famous Realtors' quote in their listings Brent!
... usually means something like: falling off the foundation & the roof is caving in, but other than that .....! dry.gif

Here's another relative to 914s in particular:
"Battery Tray rusted through, but the Hell Hole is fine...."
.... so where the f*ck did all that battery acid laden water from the engine grill go!!??
....... did it miraculously evaporate in the <12" to the rear long!!?? WTF.gif

Or, "All original except...." - usually followed by a textbook long list of everything change, a repaint to a non-original color, etc., etc.!! lol-2.gif

.... Mine had 3-4 of those resprays over the years: Light Ivory OE (L80E), Sahara Beige (may be a tinted primer under the gold to reduce show thru of white if chipped), gold (prior to when I bought it in 12/75), then I did a copper like Brent's in 8/76, & another to the current Anthracite Grey Metallic in 5/80! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
stugray
How about: "Has had some minor welding repairs"

And when you look at it you think:

I thought 'minor' meant 'just a little'
when, in fact, it means
'looks like it was welded by a five year old'

Stu
J P Stein
"Dueling carbs" is a frequent condition me thinks. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
"Only has rust in the normal spots"

WTF.gif
matthepcat
"mechanics special"

There is nothing special about needing to be a mechanic to buy your car.
SCV
QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 5 2011, 08:58 AM) *

agree.gif This is true in my experience.
majkos
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 5 2011, 01:57 PM) *

"Only has rust in the normal spots"

WTF.gif

agree.gif
rnellums
"Chassis reinforcement for racing - essentially meaning that the longs are completely rusted through the the owner sloppily welded a few pieces of angle iron across the gap. Or, in my case bolted...
Click to view attachment
sorry for the tiny size, its the only picture that shows it.
Tom_T
...or like the ex-VARA racer which is my parts shell..... dry.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

both sides! blink.gif

edwin
I am a fan of the "no rust" comment but never any mention of the cardboard bog and paint that replaced it
Tom_T
Here's one I saw in the CL from Elk Grove CA today:

Not running but body is good and has a Porsche engine.. Could run with miner tune up.

Apparently - it being in the old CA gold rush country, they need a miner to tune it up! lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
My favorite is "engine and transmission rebuilt shortly before it was parked/stored". Makes no sense. Why do that and park/store it. No receipts = not built. Depending on the time between, may not mean it anyway dry.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 7 2011, 01:47 PM) *

My favorite is "engine and transmission rebuilt shortly before it was parked/stored". Makes no sense. Why do that and park/store it. No receipts = not built. Depending on the time between, may not mean it anyway dry.gif

agree.gif about the undocumented work, & how often have members posted here about DAPO "fixes," rebuilds, etc.!

And if the rebuild is old enough, then it may not matter anyhoo, cuz you'll need to redo all the seals & soft parts.....and then, as long as you're in there......!!!! dry.gif

Mike, mine WAS rebuilt & a rolling resto before it was parked after <20k miles - but NOT by choice - as it got whacked & I figured it was worth saving it for the $6500 fully overhauled engine, transaxle, suspension & other mechanicals, as well as for the non-hit bodywork in 80-83 ($20k+ in today's dollars).

I just didn't intend it to be for 26 years! dry.gif

So sometimes shit happens! sad.gif
Mike Bellis
"The previous owner rebuilt the engine, but I don't have the paperwork."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.