Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone relocate fuse panel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
I'm at the point where I'm getting ready to pull the wiring harness out of my project 914. I've already decided to rebuild the harness since this 914's getting the Ford/Yamaha 3.2L SHO engine, and the harness has been completely clipped and reassembled at the front and rear trunks by a PO. barf.gif

So has anyone relocated their fuse panel to the from trunk or elsewhere? I'm thinking about the area on the drivers side of the front trunk where the brake fluid reservoir sits.

Thoughts?

PS: I am planning to convert to the new spade fuse panel.
Rand
QUOTE(3d914 @ Oct 5 2011, 10:01 PM) *

relocated their fuse panel to the from trunk or elsewhere?

I'm a fan of blade panel upgrade. But don't see a need to relocate. I mean, tell my why?
Cap'n Krusty
It'll likely fall victim to the weather out there ...........

The Cap'n
Rand
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 5 2011, 10:22 PM) *

It'll likely fall victim to the weather out there ...........

The Cap'n

You mean if "to the from trunk or elsewhere?"
I'm not sure I get that, but no doubt anywhere you move it to is going to be more victim to elements.

confused24.gif wacko.gif <-- question to OP, not Capn
3d914
Well, I've worked on more 914's than I've owned, and I'm sure like me, there's nothing a 914 owner loves more than climbing under his dash, upside down, with the break level jabbing his spine while he tries to perform a three-handed operation with little light and only two hands.

Are you serious - can I be the only one to figure there's got to be a better place to put this thing?

Now if I had a wiring harness that was in good shape, I might be more prone to leave it where it is - but this is a perfect opportunity to eliminate one back-breaking regular service.
ripper911
It's so much fun to work on fuses, pedal assemblies, etc. with your legs hanging out of the top of the car, why would you want to deny yourself that pleasure?
ConeDodger
I suspect 'crawling up under the dash' as you put it would be a lot easier than redesigning the harness so the wiring reaches your new location...
jaxdream
Are you serious - can I be the only one to figure there's got to be a better place to put this thing?

beerchug.gif

I'm with ya on that one . I got a relay / fuse panel from a later model VW ( Jetta , Golf ??? ) off of evilbay(cheap) , plans are to mount it on the right side of the console that I plan on making for my 73 with a hindged door that just snaps shut. Wiring not too bad a shape , but I like the idea of a late fuse panel with blade type fuses with room for extra relays if needed. Idea is to make accsessable from the passenger side with no upside down antics . Yep , I be changin things from the factory settings ....... stirthepot.gif

Jack
3d914
Thanks Jack. Since I do have to rebuild my harness - it seems like a fitting change. Consider any of your modern cars (late 90s +) - most have at least one or more fuse/relay panels under the hood. And they see a lot more of the environment then our trunk does.

I was sure I'd read where someone else had done this.

OK - rant over.
TheCabinetmaker
If you plan on completely redoing the harness any way, the area you susgested sounds like a perfect place. Thats where I stash the extra cartridge for my cd changer. Works great. I see no reason why it would get more weather in the front trunk. It seems to work fine in the 911's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.