Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 similarities with the TUCKER ? any ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo

The tucker car is so before my time that I'm curious about it's

DESIGN

I've know the corvair is a comparable platform to the 914 , 911 way back when

but what was the tucker all about ?

Is it true that in those days the 1st cars were made out of Mule vehicles

to " resemble " what the production vehicle would look like , then it was designed from the ground up [ without the computer of course }

I adore my 914 but always wonder if porsche thought too small when it came to it

but i guess that is the beauty of it also smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
both have air cooled engines. the Tucker's is much easier to remove, from what I've read. IIRC it is on rails and slids out the rear.
damesandhotrods
After a quick google of the Tucker, I don’t see a lot in common. Tucker was a dreamer, but Porsche was an engineer.
flipb
The 914's engine has also been used in aircraft. The Tucker's engine came from a helicopter.

I've always been fascinated by the Tucker too.
Tom_T
Tucker was pre-Porsche (the make), but a contemporary of the rear engined VW Bug, but neither was the first rear nor mid engined car, since the earliest cars put motors in both locations.

One of my Dad's favorite cars was the Tucker. Tucker was basically screwed out of the auto biz by the Big # & their contacts in the Federal govt.

Go see or rent the movie - it's a good story!
thelogo
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 6 2011, 01:00 PM) *

both have air cooled engines. the Tucker's is much easier to remove, from what I've read. IIRC it is on rails and slids out the rear.

Yes but does the car handle like it's on rails . !!!
thelogo
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 6 2011, 01:33 PM) *

Tucker was pre-Porsche (the make), but a contemporary of the rear engined VW Bug, but neither was the first rear nor mid engined car, since the earliest cars put motors in both locations.

One of my Dad's favorite cars was the Tucker. Tucker was basically screwed out of the auto biz by the Big # & their contacts in the Federal govt.

Go see or rent the movie - it's a good story!

I agree the movie was great . seen it several time's .

gary gartner

If you are interested, they have one or two at the Nethercutt museum, in Sylmar, Ca not too far east of the 405.
This place is worth the trip for any gear head in So Cal
gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.