Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropped Valve Seat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
street legal go-kart
dropped # 3 intake valve seat last night.
what is a good price for a valve job? the Wizard is a factory trained guy with his own shop . his prices have always been very fair but i sit here waiting for the fax w/price holding my breath.
my luck w/cars is not real good the last couple of months. we have spent about 4 grand in the last 60 days on car repairs wacko.gif
thank in advance,

JT
Allan
I got a ballpark figure of 400-600 from a place here in bakersfield and another of 350 labaor plus parts (Sodium Filled Valves) from Engine Builder Specialties in Vegas. I'm guessing around 6 bills for a good one on both heads but then again this is my first time at this. biggrin.gif
street legal go-kart
ok here is the bid
12 hours labor
gasket set
exhaust valves
valve guides
oil filter misc parts
new clutch presure plate misc parts
cylinder head machine work ect
$ 2074.76
reasonable I think but what do my fellow fanatics think?
The Wizard did break it down piece by piece so detailed prices are there.

JT
Brad Roberts
Do it. Typical labor on those heads alone will run you in the 450-650 range (as stated above) He is spot on with his pricing.

Any idea why it dropped the seat ? Dont install the engine and drive it before figuring out what caused it.

B
Allan
Man, I must of got either some really bad information or it would end up being a really poor job. I didn't realize it would be so expensive givemebeer.gif
Mike D.
$2000, damn!

I've got a Russian guy in Glendale who's been doing heads for me for years at $300 a pair. He has even done some race heads, fly cut, bigger valves etc., of course that suff is extra. Never had any problems. He also balences pistons and rods, regrinds cams, lightens flywheels, typical machine shop stuff.

I have taken him alot of work over the years. I would imagine that is part of my good deal with him. That, and the fact thathe doesn't advertise in Porsche magazines or have a web site or a race team... biggrin.gif

-Mike D.
anthony
You guys, that's a good deal. He's not just getting the heads done but that includes the R&R labor and a new clutch.
street legal go-kart
ya
all of the above.
i dont have time to deal with the car myself right now so the price seems right.
Brad the car is driven 100 miles round trip each time I have to go to town.
The last 10 miles coming home each time is a 2000 ft elavaton gain and the air temp is an avarage of 95 +deg.
so why did the valve seat seperate from the head , probably too hott.....
we will address some of those issues but does any one else have any ideas?
the car is very well cared for ,oil changes , valve adjst. ect.

JT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.