Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuck pushrod tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Radmacdaddy
I'm getting near pulling my heads but my pushrod tubes are really tight. I very gently turned them with a pair pliers to try & get them loose, but they are not popping out.

Any good ideas.

Thanks for quick replies!!
wingnut86
Twist back and forth while pulling in an upward direction...
jaxdream
Some guys wrap a small worm drive clamp around them , snug up the clamp , grab the clamp with vice-grips , then wack the vice-grips with a hammer ( not real hard , just tap smartly ) then ease the tube out . It's somewhat a longer process this way as the clamp has to be removed and replaced on the next one, but you save the tubes . Instalation usually requires that a socket that is the inside diameter of the head end be inserted into the tube after the orings are lubed / replaced and then the socket gets tapped to insert the tubes into the block and head. Good Luck....

Jack
bigkensteele
I had to use vice grips and a pretty fair amount of force on mine. The inner rings were either swolen or the wrong size (most probable), and they took some major persuasion. The key is rotating them while pulling. My motor is out of my car, so it was probably a lot easier than what you are dealing with. I considered getting new tubes, as the vice grips left some marks, but then I came to my senses and realized that nobody is ever going to see them.

The new viton seals went right in with a satisfying little pop, no problem.
Radmacdaddy
Thanks guys! Using more force worked!

The vw engine rebuilt book says to only use hands, no pliers are they are thin and easily damaged. So I was being too cautious.

Thanks to you guys, I got them out easily! Right on. I really appreciate it.
Cap'n Krusty
Brute force and ignorance, "The American Way"!

The Cap'n
type47
Keep us (me) posted on your progress. ... and post in the same thread don't start another poke.gif
IronHillRestorations
Some of the PRT's have indentions that will accept an open end wrench, put the wrench on the PRT and push toward the head. If you are pulling the heads too, don't worry about the PRT's just pull the heads and you'll have them off too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.