Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Eric Shea Brake Help Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pilothyer
Today I started the disassembly of a pair of late rear brake calipers, drivers side no problem, both pistons screwed out and pulled out with no problem. The passenger side, however has some issues. The outer piston screwed out and pulled out without a problem. The inner piston was a different story. The teeth on the adjusting screw are broken. Am I screwed or is there some way to get the inner piston out. It is the teeth on the actual screw that are broken, not the removable piece that turns that screw...................Jerry
pilothyer
Eric....Help...Please
ConeDodger
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 7 2011, 06:48 AM) *

Eric....Help...Please

Call him. Search PMB Performance and dial his digits. He may be a corporate icon but he answers his own phones... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
The teeth on the adjusting screw are broken. Am I screwed or is there some way to get the inner piston out. It is the teeth on the actual screw that are broken, not the removable piece that turns that screw

Sorry Jerry... missed this.

Questions:

1. Are the teeth on the gear broken? or,
2. Are the teeth on the adjuster broken?

I assume the later because adjuster "gear" teeth broken would simply mean replacing the adjuster gear.

That said; re-assemble the caliper completely.
Put a c-clamp or a caliper piston clamp on the outer piston so it does not move.
Pump fluid through the caliper (water or grease...). The piston will literally pump off the adjuster mechanism.
Using needle nose vise-grips, spin the adjuster mechanism off the adjuster shaft.
Using a bench arbor press or a vise and some sockets, reinstall the adjuster mechanism in the piston body (make sure it goes in "straight").
Carry on as usual.

Contact me for a new inner adjuster.

-OR-

You can re-assemble the caliper and send it to me. Pay the freight and I'll get it apart for you.
Eric_Shea
Also... move the handbrake arm back and forth by (almost) any means possible. Watch to make certain that you do not snap off the bump stop.

This will move that "stuck" inner adjuster shaft by about 1/8" in its' bore breaking its' bond and allowing you to remove it without much trouble once you get the piston and adjuster mechanism out.
pilothyer
Eric........Thanks for the information......I knew you could give me the answer if anyone could............Jerry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.