Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Heads - Flycut & back together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
Brought my heads home from my porsche shop. Replaced some slightly bent exhaust valves. Very lucky to have discovered them before they became a real issue.

Someone asked earlier what sodium filled valves look like... here's a pic
Joseph Mills
After we honed the cylinders, we lapped them to the flycut heads. I plan to leave out the seal rings as has been suggested on this forum.
Joseph Mills
New clutch disk, pressure plate (not shown), and flywheel. Unfortunately, the flywheel was out of spec and really screwed up. I was only getting use of about 30% of the clutch disk's surface.

Next task is to finish up transmission assembly. Someday I'm going to have to start asking how all this crap goes back together. laugh.gif
Tom Perso
Good move - you should have a nice little bump in compression from that.

You are on the right track for sure! I just had to pull one of my heads off the 2270 - I lapped the cylinders into the head and there was not one head leak.

Tom
Cap'n Krusty
Those intakes look awfully deep in the seats. Hope it's just the angle of the camera. Lapped the cylinders to the heads? It never crossed my mind that anybody still did that! Lemme see ............ You set the heads up on a mill and get the 2 seating surfaces perfectly parallel. Then you introduce random angles to those surfaces by hand grinding them with the cylinders ................................ I'll pretty much stay out of the head gasket discussion. Late T2 heads are installed w/o them, the others call for them. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong ..............
The Cap'n, they don't call me Krusty for nothing!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 23 2004, 04:05 PM)
Those intakes look awfully deep in the seats.  Hope it's just the angle of the camera.  Lapped the cylinders to the heads?  It never crossed my mind that anybody still did that!  Lemme see ............  You set the heads up on a mill and get the 2 seating surfaces perfectly parallel.  Then you introduce random angles to those surfaces by hand grinding them with the cylinders ................................  I'll pretty much stay out of the head gasket discussion.  Late T2 heads are installed w/o them, the others call for them.  Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong ..............  
The Cap'n, they don't call me Krusty for nothing!

Good eye for detail. Mostly camera angle if you look close.... however my P-mech says next time around new seats will be in order.

Yup. Lapped 'em. Maybe I'll be lucky like Tom and have no leaks. beerchug.gif

Thank you your Krustyness. biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
They sank the valves- Ouch...

And no step cut on the chambers....
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 23 2004, 05:19 PM)
They sank the valves- Ouch...

Jake,

What will that lead to?

Should I ask for new valve seats? Or???
Jake Raby
Get NEW intake valves.. Those look to have been ground too many times. Grinding a valve too much creates a knife edge and promotes burning... Lets just hope they didn't cut the seats too much and thats why the valve is so deep.

Sinking them that far also effects spring tension, as well as rocker arm geometry (unless they took off the same amount off the stem as that sank the valve)

The sstep cut procedure eliminates head leaks, and the use of head gaskets- a very good thing!
Joseph Mills
Okay - getting new intakes & confirming spring tension, etc.

Thanks Jake for your expertise. It is MUCH appreciated! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.