Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to fix 914 fuel leak?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
Looks like I'll be doing the fuel pump relocation. I replaced my fuel filter last night and I came home from work today to a large puddle of gasoline under the filter/pump area. My first thought was that I didn't get one of the lines tight enough. Looked closer and found one of the lines from the pump leaking. Apparently the hoses were so brittle that one cracked when I replaced the filter. So I figure I'll just stick a screwdriver up there and replace the hose only to find that the lines are crimped on! Try to remove the pump to have better access and I end up taking a shower in gasoline as the other brittle lines crack. (Gasoline + eyeballs = pain) I get all of the leaks stopped and proceed to try to remove the pump and the attach points crumble to dust as I turn the wrench. Got the pump out now. Can't put it back where it came from. I'd like to smack a german engineer right now. slap.gif I should have done it 2 days ago when I had the gas tank out.
Brad Roberts
Be careful. Porsche never intended for the plastic lines in your car to be PRESSURIZED. They are for return and feed purposes (no pressure). The move sounds good on paper.. but 99% of the time people moving them are replacing the center tunnel lines at the same time. You can still buy the rubber isolators for the fuel pump. Easy fix. Pull the flapper box out of the way so you have easier access to that area.

B
Ctrout
So I should just try to find a solid location to remount the pump in the same general area. At least until I have the ambition, time, and money to do it right?
Brad Roberts
I have seen several cars with it mounted in the engine compartment. Just extend the two fuel lines and shorten one. The wire for the pump pass through a grommet directly below the battery tray. However you want to do it.. just be safe. The reason the cars vapor lock is because of the hot air being blown directly on the pump from the flapper box "bell". Moving the pump 4 inches up into the engine compartment is easier than the front mount.

B
Ctrout
Now I just need to figure out how to reattach the hoses to the pump. With gasoline spewing everywhere, I didn't exactly have time to take good notes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.