Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixing a Loose Steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellowFV
I perused the classic threads and could not find anything on this subject.

My 75 1.8 liter has an excessive amont of looseness in the steering column. a Review of my Haynes manual shows two bearings on the steering shaft.

Anyone changed out these bearings ?... what's involved ?.. Amazingly Hussey's 700 tech forum does not cover this fix.

yes I already tried tightening the mount bolts holding the column assembly under the dash

Rob Wellner
Brad Roberts
We sell a sleave that takes the place of the plastic that is now broken and missing causing your column to be loose. Dumb design on Porsches part. The 911's have the same problem.

Call me on Monday and I can ship one out. I think they are around 20$. Slips right on behind the steering wheel onto the shaft.

650-364-6234

B
Gint
Brad, I need one also. I can add it to my order for Mueller Bearings and Bils.
SirAndy
yes, sleeve works great. it's a cone-shaped metal piece that has ripples.

wedge it in and be done with it!
smash.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
No problem Gint.

The problem is not the bearings.. it is the shaft wearing out.

B
airsix
Ok, I've got one of these little bushings floating around the garage in it's little baggie. Had it for a few years.
I've installed and tuned PEFI by myself. Flared my fenders by hand by myself, converted to a hydraulic clutch by myself, bla bla bla. But I'll be dipped if I can figure out how to install this stupid little bushing. Anybody want to explain it?

More than once I've pulled the wheel and turn signal guts and stared down into the column. I've slid the bushing over the shaft and tried to "persuade" it down further. No joy. It don't go. So I slide it back off the shaft and put it in its baggie for another year.

-Ben M.
BRAVE_HELIOS
Hi, I have seen mixed stories about whether the bearing bush will work on a 71 914? Will it? If not... why not? I noticed on my 71 there is a metal collar about 3 inches long that slides over the steering column shaft and the chamfered end that slides into the inner bearing surface/race. Is that supposed to be there? The Momo hub adapter fits right over it with out any issues.
euro911
I feel a little slop in my '75 too and would like to correct the issue when getting around to rebuilding the front suspension.

I realize this thread is 10 years old and Brad isn't in the game any longer, but wondering if anybody else is offering these sleeves these days? ... or if there's another solution (other than sourcing a low-mileage steering shaft) confused24.gif

Subscribed popcorn[1].gif
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 18 2014, 02:42 AM) *

I feel a little slop in my '75 too and would like to correct the issue when getting around to rebuilding the front suspension.

I realize this thread is 10 years old and Brad isn't in the game any longer, but wondering if anybody else is offering these sleeves these days? ... or if there's another solution (other than sourcing a low-mileage steering shaft) confused24.gif

Subscribed popcorn[1].gif

_If_ the wobble is from the degradation of the white plastic sleeve between the upper bearing's inner race and the shaft, p/n 928 347 739 02 should fix it. Common on '74 - '89 911's. It sounds crude but you just drive the metal 928 sleeve on to the shaft, pushing the remnants of the plastic through.
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Nov 18 2014, 12:16 AM) *

Hi, I have seen mixed stories about whether the bearing bush will work on a 71 914? Will it? If not... why not? I noticed on my 71 there is a metal collar about 3 inches long that slides over the steering column shaft and the chamfered end that slides into the inner bearing surface/race. Is that supposed to be there? The Momo hub adapter fits right over it with out any issues.

Can't comment on the BR bushing because I've never seen one but that collar/sleeve is a necessary part of the '70/'71 steering column.
Steve
I got my sleeve back in the day from Automotion. I don't know if they still sell it, but it fixed mine.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Nov 18 2014, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Nov 18 2014, 12:16 AM) *

Can't comment on the BR bushing because I've never seen one but that collar/sleeve is a necessary part of the '70/'71 steering column.

I had a chance to dig into things a bit more (see attached photos). I called Pelican and they had no idea what I was describing. They said they had no upper bearing listed for a 71, but hey did list a SPLIT RING STEERING BUSHING and spring. Obviously, not what I have.

What you see is a bearing which fits loosely on its outside race (against the steering column) and also where the steering shaft fits loosely on the inside race of the bearing, an approximately 0.25 inch thick washer/spacer, a cir-clip that locks those parts in place and a collar of around 3 inches long that slides over the steering shaft and where the end that fits on the bearing side machined down to fit in the inside race of the bearing.

Can anyone tell me if what I have installed on my car is correct? I do not think it is a 72-76 steering column... I do know the turn signal mechanism is not. I need to confirm whether this is some sort of hodge-podge of parts the previous owner put together or if it's legit. Thanks!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

BRAVE_HELIOS
Found more...

Looks like what I have is legit.

I cross-referenced the bearing part number to find dimensions and availability. Looks like 42 MM OD and 25 MM ID... my bearing is in spec.

Still don't know why my shaft is so loose. I can see the shaft and the bearing move as i exert up/down side to side pressure on the shaft. In the diagram, I don't see a lower bearing listed. WTH?

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Brian_Boss
First, none of the info in this thread so far applies to the '70-71 column.

Second, the split ring and spring that Pelican referred to are 914-6 parts - not relevant.

If the bearing outer race is loose in the column, it's wear on the column housing or just production tolerance. If it's one or two thou, you can clean the bearing and housing and reinstall with green loctite (only green). If more, shim it with brass shim stock or a piece cut from a soda can. I have done both.

If the shaft is loose in the inner race with the steering wheel off, this is probably normal. When you tighten the steering wheel nut, it clamps the shaft to the inner race, eliminating the play.

euro911
I haven't checked my wife's '71's steering play wheel lately, but my '75 is looser than I like. What's the fix for late models confused24.gif
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Nov 25 2014, 08:33 AM) *

First, none of the info in this thread so far applies to the '70-71 column.

Second, the split ring and spring that Pelican referred to are 914-6 parts - not relevant.

If the bearing outer race is loose in the column, it's wear on the column housing or just production tolerance. If it's one or two thou, you can clean the bearing and housing and reinstall with green loctite (only green). If more, shim it with brass shim stock or a piece cut from a soda can. I have done both.

If the shaft is loose in the inner race with the steering wheel off, this is probably normal. When you tighten the steering wheel nut, it clamps the shaft to the inner race, eliminating the play.

Thank you. This is just the information I was seeking! I was going to use a rubber coating or silicone but your ideas sound better!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.