Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommending metric fastener supplier
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jk76.914
Hey guys,

I've been buying metric fasteners from Bel-Metric for most of the 9 years since I started disassembling my '76 914. They are located in Tyngsboro, MA, just off route 3 north. I recommended them to others, but they weren't doing mail or internet business at that time. They mainly were serving auto repair shops, including dealerships, and have an amazing assortment of hardware.

Well, I was up there to pick up a few things today, and learned that they have recently upgraded their website and now you can buy directly from them. They take credit cards and PayPal. Same day shipping on most orders.

You can find that at www.bel-metric.com

Take a look at their on-line catalog.

Today, I picked up a new oil drain plug, a few 8mm/9mm step studs, and some Volvo/Audi unique top lock flanged nuts to finish my wheel bearing job on my Audi. I've bought flange bolts, CV boot clamps, and timesert kits in the past. Unlike McMaster-Carr (who are also GREAT), you can buy just one washer or bolt if you want to, not a box of them at Bel-Metric.

I have no affiliation whatsoever. I'm just a satisfied customer, and I know how hard it is sometimes to find exactly the screw or nut or lock washer to do the job right.

Check them out.

Jim
dlee6204
They do have quite a bit of useful stuff. Thanks for the heads up! beerchug.gif
strawman
Niiice! Great selection, and good prices to boot. Thanks!
VaccaRabite
NICE!
Add these guys to my favorites!
Zach
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Oct 7 2011, 09:12 PM) *

Today, I picked up a new oil drain plug, a few 8mm/9mm step studs, and some Volvo/Audi unique top lock flanged nuts to finish my wheel bearing job on my Audi.

Jim,
You'll find that those step studs aren't usable as-is.
I've bought them from Bel-Metric in the past, and even spoke with someone there about it. Their entire stock is the same.
The 9mm end is not cut properly.
It won't thread in or will ruin the aluminum threads in the head.
You have to either file the entire thread on the stud and test it with a 9mm nut until it goes on freely, or chase it with a threading die.
rwilner
this is sweet, they're just up the road from me. Finally an alternative to mcmaster.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rwilner @ Oct 9 2011, 10:28 AM) *

Finally an alternative to mcmaster.

The only trouble with McMaster is they don't actually have any automotive specific hardware.
jk76.914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 9 2011, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Oct 7 2011, 09:12 PM) *

Today, I picked up a new oil drain plug, a few 8mm/9mm step studs, and some Volvo/Audi unique top lock flanged nuts to finish my wheel bearing job on my Audi.

Jim,
You'll find that those step studs aren't usable as-is.
I've bought them from Bel-Metric in the past, and even spoke with someone there about it. Their entire stock is the same.
The 9mm end is not cut properly.
It won't thread in or will ruin the aluminum threads in the head.
You have to either file the entire thread on the stud and test it with a 9mm nut until it goes on freely, or chase it with a threading die.

Good thing to check out, but I've used these before with timeserts with no problem. As I recall, you can't use any 8/9mm stud in a tapped out stripped 8mm head anyway. The major diameter of the 8mm hole is bigger then the minor diameter of the 9mm, so you won't get enough thread depth if you just tap out to 9mm and try and use an 8/9 stud. You either need to go to an 8mm/10mm step stud, or use a timesert with the 8/9....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.