Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OCD - update on last post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
My speedo center button came off on Blackie so I decided to remove the gage in order to glue it back on. Once the bezel was off and the center cap was glued on I cleaned and polished the glass. Amazing difference but big a mistake! Now, I had to pull the other 2 gages and do the same to them. Of course, this lead to sanding, primeing and painting, which will be dry by Sunday. I'll post a pic with the gages in place after the paint dries but I'm happy w/ how easily these clean up.
This started it:
Click to view attachment

You can clearly see the difference. It stood out like a turd in a punch bowl. I had no choice but to do all 3.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Looks great! thumb3d.gif
sixnotfour
Are those in your 76 ? did you change them ? I have a 76 with the silver button also.
rnellums
I remember when I did that it felt like I had put really bright lights in my gauges at night!
'73-914kid
It's not OCD Kent, it's just attention to detail...
Elliot Cannon
And if you come to the G&R, you can do mine as well. lol-2.gif
76-914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 7 2011, 08:03 PM) *

Are those in your 76 ? did you change them ? I have a 76 with the silver button also.

These are in my '73 but I'm not up on what years take which gages. Maybe in another couple of years.
QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 7 2011, 08:12 PM) *

I remember when I did that it felt like I had put really bright lights in my gauges at night!

I hadn't thought of that, hmmmm. It's amazing how dirty they can get on the inside!

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Oct 7 2011, 08:15 PM) *

It's not OCD Kent, it's just attention to detail...

Not according to my wife. I drive her nuts.
willamp
Can you tell me how to remove the bezel rings? I've opened other gauges in the past where you had to bend a lip to get them off and it was very difficult to get them back on and still look right.

thanks
Eric_Shea
DWD... ya might as well get'er up on jackstands and yank the whole damn thing apart. biggrin.gif
76-914
I was going to post a follow up yesterday but my damned blinkers wouldn't work so I held off till I got it fixed. This was a particularly perplexing because this was the 3rd time I had the dash apart and this problem was not present the 2nd time. Something had apparanty gone south during the last install so I dropped the wheel, pulled the speedo cable, pulled out the gage cluster and sure enough everything is in it's place. Frustrated I reread the '73 chart. When I removed the Hazard Switch I reached inside the dash to hold the switch body as I removed the bezel from the front. This is what fell into my hand and I'm pretty sure there is another small brass piece in there somewhere.

Click to view attachment

Anyway, God Bless John Wayne and Slits. Ron had one, so a quick trip up the hiway and piratenanner.gif . Both the L/R blinker wires run right thru it but I didnot suspect it earlier because I had removed it twice before w/o a hitch. Never assume. Everything works great now and as soon as it gets dark I'm checking out the brightness others have reported.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Smitty911
If you had OCD, you would have typed it "CDO" that's alphabetical.

Nice clean up work, just attention to detail.

Smitty
jaxdream
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 9 2011, 05:28 PM) *

I was going to post a follow up yesterday but my damned blinkers wouldn't work so I held off till I got it fixed. This was a particularly perplexing because this was the 3rd time I had the dash apart and this problem was not present the 2nd time. Something had apparanty gone south during the last install so I dropped the wheel, pulled the speedo cable, pulled out the gage cluster and sure enough everything is in it's place. Frustrated I reread the '73 chart. When I removed the Hazard Switch I reached inside the dash to hold the switch body as I removed the bezel from the front. This is what fell into my hand and I'm pretty sure there is another small brass piece in there somewhere.

Click to view attachment

Anyway, God Bless John Wayne and Slits. Ron had one, so a quick trip up the hiway and piratenanner.gif . Both the L/R blinker wires run right thru it but I didnot suspect it earlier because I had removed it twice before w/o a hitch. Never assume. Everything works great now and as soon as it gets dark I'm checking out the brightness others have reported.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have always liked the look of engine turned ( jeweling ) aluminum dash panels , reminds me of my first car , 63 Chevy Impala SS , SS had the same panel type and looks.
Dadgum that dash looks great...

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.