Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2+1 Seating!?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pecci
I just read on "Pelican" that a 914 has a 3=seater option with seat=belt. Obviously the 3rd seat (if this is true) must be between the driver & passenger seats, but it just doesn't seem possible.

Can someone explain this? confused24.gif
messix
very small person on the center cushion
SirAndy
QUOTE(pecci @ Oct 7 2011, 10:37 PM) *

I just read on "Pelican" that a 914 has a 3=seater option with seat=belt. Obviously the 3rd seat (if this is true) must be between the driver & passenger seats, but it just doesn't seem possible.

Early cars ('70/'71) had an option of a 3rd lap-belt in the center. Really more of a child seat than anything else.

The mounting for the belt was omitted from '72 onward.

shades.gif
Thestigz06
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 7 2011, 10:51 PM) *

QUOTE(pecci @ Oct 7 2011, 10:37 PM) *

Early cars ('70/'71) had an option of a 3rd lap-belt in the center. Really more of a child seat than anything else.

The mounting for the belt was omitted from '72 onward.

shades.gif

I kinda added one in the center anyways, it does make a teener awful cozy! lol-2.gif
JRust
Just retrofit a split bench seat out of a small truck icon8.gif I guarantee you'd have the only 914 with one in it av-943.gif
dlkawashima
Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Fact: You can fit either 2 passengers (cozy-ly) in your 914, or 3 slightly tipsy girls. True story.
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 8 2011, 11:53 AM) *

I bet she has her hand on the knob.

av-943.gif
Kansas 914
The sticker on my gas expansion tank states Seating 2 + 1 - and my car is an early 72 - but didn't come with the extra seat belts - so I guess mine is a tweener teener!
JmuRiz
I've driven people for very short trip on my center lad before I put a couple speakers in it's place. Not really sure what the factory seatbelts for the 'middle' seat looked like though.
913B
Anyone wanna post some pics if they have any of the 3 seater. That would be cool to take my 2 kids in.
a914622
It was the 70s!! They used to let you ride the roll bar biggrin.gif But only if youd been drinking!!
914itis
QUOTE(a914622 @ Oct 8 2011, 10:54 PM) *

It was the 70s!! They used to let you ride the roll bar biggrin.gif But only if youd been drinking!!

This is so ironic. I was going to a car show today my friend's teener lost its suspension ear and my son was with me. We left her car , my son uses the middle seat and we made it. What is so ironic is that just before I left I I logged on to the world but didn't have a chance to read any thread.I got back home and this was the first thread on my list.
914Mels
Our '70 has the center belt, it looks just like the outboard belts. my wife used to strap in 3 little kids using a combination of the passenger belts. With the top off and all the engine noise, you could hardly hear any squables from them.
TargaToy
It's a pad upholstered in the same vinyl as the other two seats. Basically, it's just shaped like a flattend loaf of bread and the bottom side is stepped so that it fits in the plastic tray between the seats.

The center belts share the inboard seatbelt bolts.

This is where I rode all the time in the 70's until my sister came along and the 914 was sold for a Plymouth Valare. Blech.

If nobody else posts a pic, I'll shoot one of mine and post tomorrow.
silver74insocal
it was the 70's...before the super size trend and obese america. l hear there was a lot of cocaine use as well confused24.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Oct 8 2011, 12:03 PM) *

Fact: You can fit either 2 passengers (cozy-ly) in your 914, or 3 slightly tipsy girls. True story.

I did this tonight!
djm914-6
Before my youngest boy got too big, he used to ride in the center with the belt. The belt is very short so it's more of a limiting factor than the space the boys took up. We wouldn't go far bit did make a few multy hour excursions areound some senic areas and beaches.
tradisrad
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 8 2011, 08:53 AM) *

that pic is from this TV episode. I posted it in the sandbox last year. Lots of 914 content

My first '71 had a center belt. I wish I had kept the belts.
wertygrog

I tried this once, got about a 1/4 mile before being pulled over. I tried explaining to the cop that these cars had a 3rd seat option but he claimed to be the president of the Orlando PCA and soundly declared that it was never an option. busted_cop.gif busted.gif
Michael N
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Oct 9 2011, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 8 2011, 08:53 AM) *

that pic is from this TV episode.

I don't know what was more believable...the UFO or the second gear chirp of the tires while shifting when she pulled away from the police officer.
shelby/914
1965 & '66 Mustangs had a small bench seat with a fold down center arm rest which might fit. Just measured the 914 and the Shelby from door to door and they are approximately the same. I had a '66 coupe with the bench seat and it was actually more comfortable than the buckets. A friend is supposed to dig one out of his pile of old parts so I can make a redneck garage couch. Might see if it will work.
SirAndy
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Oct 8 2011, 08:43 PM) *
The center belts share the inboard seatbelt bolts.

No. There are two extra threaded holes in the floor on early cars that are closed off with plastic bolts by default.

That's where the center belts mount to.
shades.gif
mepstein
I'm pretty sure the belts were similar or the same as the ones from early 911 rear seats. But I would not let my kids ride in a car without proper shoulder and lap belts.
Tom_T
The people I bought my 914 from in 75 had 2 kids & removed the center console to make it more comfy for them to ride there.

On several occasions I'd driven with 3 across the front - me & 2 gals usually in my single days, a couple of times with 3 of us Ruggers on the way to the 3rd half - or from it! beer3.gif
... also drove with 6 inside & top on thru the burger drive thru! chowtime.gif

That cop who was the supposed PCA prez was full of stromberg.gif & probably never saw inside of a 914, let alone knew the specs.

Sir Andy, my 8/72 built 73 2L has the extra threaded receivers for the 3rd belt, but the gas tank sticker says 2 passenger (not 2+1), probably because the "included option" center console on the 73 2L's made it impossible to use it for a 3rd adult due to the lack of leg room.

Here's why it needs to be a 2+1 when you're driving along (reverse the idea for our female Teeners) -

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
johannes
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Oct 9 2011, 08:08 AM) *

that pic is from this TV episode. I posted it in the sandbox last year. Lots of 914 content

What a great find !...

smilie_pokal.gif
johannes
Found a better screenshot

Click to view attachment

IPB Image
johannes
This nice picture was taken during the shooting of this episode

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 10 2011, 02:49 AM) *
Sir Andy, my 8/72 built 73 2L has the extra threaded receivers for the 3rd belt,

They might have left the threaded holes in there until '73 but i know for sure that later cars don't have them anymore. And as far as i know the 3rd seat-belt was not an option anymore in '73.

shades.gif
jt914-6
Took a trip to the grocery store in the '73 914 with me, a female friend, a male friend and her full grown Irish Setter...a bit crowded but the drinks before made it seem like the right thing to do.... beerchug.gif
TargaToy
So THAT's what those plastic plugs in the threaded holes were! I found them while stripping tar. My center seatbelts were bolted down with the inboard seatbelt bolts as I stated above.

Thanks, Sir Andy. U lernt me somethin. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.