Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: supporting car on jackstands for eng removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellowFV
I've been supporting the car at the rear with jackstands under the trailing arm mount point at the chassis. This method seems to suit the chinese ratchet type jackstands I have.

To remove the engine where is the best point to support the car from ?... I'm wondering if the round jack points would be better in giving more room around the work area since they are forward out of the way...

I was going to have a welder friend make up a set of wide based stands from 2" x 2" heavy tubing with a round pipe peice that mates to the jack point securely.. How high is the optimum height needed for engine removal. ?

I did not want to get the engine halfway out and realize it won't clear or something...

Rob wellner

ps I promise this is the last stupid newbie question I will post... for at least a couple of days or so.
Andyrew
Use the jack points on the body.. under the body, the round things. Put jackstands there.
newdeal2
I only supported the rear of the car with 2 hydraulic jacks about 22-24 " is enough. Follow the Pelican tech artical on engine removal...it is the safest and easiest way!
SirAndy
i always put them under the round part of the trailing arm where it mounts to the body. dunno what's it called in english.
one jackstand on each side.

if you take the air-filter stuff off the engine and remove the rear valance you'll need less *height* to slide the engine out the back.
wink.gif Andy

IPB Image
rhodyguy
i agree on the pelican method. it's even easier when you're putting the engine back in. get an extra floor jack and a $20 furniture dolly from home depot. place a jack under the rear of each trailing arm, up and down you go.

kevin
watsonrx13
I agree with Andy, put the jack stands underneath the floor 'doughnut'. I used a 3 ton floor jack to lower the engine, then rolled it out from underneath the car. I did remove the carbs before hand.
watsonrx13
Here's the passenger side.
watsonrx13
Here's the engine removed and transfered to a furniture dolly I use to store the engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.