Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bellows - do these seem good or bad ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
pic

thermostat
jaxdream
Hold a hair dryer on em for a bit , or put them into a pan of boiling / near boiling water to see if they expand. Unless they are leaking the liquid inside it's hard to tell , of course there may be a overall length cold vs hot that's some where in some archives. Others will chime in .

Jack
gasman
They are all no good...they are expanded. They should be compressed and expand when heated.
VaccaRabite
Test with boiling water to find out. My guess is that 2 of 3 may be fine.
jimkelly
as soon as my wife leaves the house - they are getting boiled - but not sooner : ))

pics to come.

looks like you need a special very narrow open end to get the off a rusted bracket.
913B
I call dibs on the working one of course
Valy
A new thermostat is about 35mm long. When it hits its target temperature it measures about 46mm long and continues to expand until it's 55mm long. That's how much the cable that controls the flaps moves.
IPB Image

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html

The 46mm measurement also appears in the Porsche repair manual page 3.3 - 2/4
jimkelly
pic of my 3 and ruler
jim_hoyland
One type of bellows has 10 rings and another has 12 or 13; make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Forgot which type is from the 914... sad.gif
jimkelly
you guys are making it tough for me to sell crappy parts : )

i just removed this one off a 2.0 i have laying in my garage.

jimkelly
boil test pics

goldielocks likes the one on the left, not sure about the one in the middle, but would trash the one on the right.

jim
pilothyer
I'll Pay shipping for the bad ones......Jerry
Porschef
I have one on the way from Clark at Awesome powder coating. Warranty is void if it is not used in the factory bracket to control over expansion. Installing your's in a bracket would also serve to show full travel. The two I have appear to be torn.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 3 2012, 07:14 AM) *

Warranty is void if it is not used in the factory bracket to control over expansion. Installing your's in a bracket would also serve to show full travel. The two I have appear to be torn.

agree.gif

You should never do these tests without it in the bracket, you run a very good chance destroying the thermostat.
reharvey
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 3 2012, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 3 2012, 07:14 AM) *

Warranty is void if it is not used in the factory bracket to control over expansion. Installing your's in a bracket would also serve to show full travel. The two I have appear to be torn.

agree.gif

You should never do these tests without it in the bracket, you run a very good chance destroying the thermostat.

agree.gif Been there---Done that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.