Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gearing suggestions - stock 3.2 in a six?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hello everyone,

I am pleased to say that my newly acquired stock 914-6 transaxle is in the capable hands of the good Dr. Evil for rebuilding. My car will not be raced or auto-crossed; just street driven.

It will end up with a stock 3.2 with Motronic and 205X55X15 tires.

The good doctor has recommended: A, Ga, Q, X and fH gears. (I hope I got that right because it's greek to me.) I am inclined to go with that recommendation. Then this morning I thought I might as well post here and see what you all have to say.

For those of you who own or have owned a six with a stock 3.2, I am curious what thoughts you might have or if you too believe the above recommendation "hits the nail on the head". I trust the Doc, but of course was curious about real world experience driving that combination with a 3.2.

I am looking for a nice street box that does not have me spinning 3,500 RPM at 70. Close ratios would be nice with a tall 5th.

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, etc.
Michael
Eric_Shea
With such a broad torque curve, I'm not sure I'd deviate from stock frankly. At any rate; find your max torque and don't forget about "cooling at speed". If you plan to have a front cooler, that shouldn't be a problem but... if not, you may want to conside the Za as that's the reason the factory used it in 6's.

Maybe Joe or Wills can weigh in with some real world 3.2 experience.
ConeDodger
The 3.2 wakes up at 4K RPM so gearing in the lower side should take that into account. At 4K RPM the 3.2 wakes up like it is running from the devil! So 3 and 4 and 5 should take advantage of that...

It really depends on what you want to do with the car though... Stock gearing should be fine for daily driving and the occasional spirited canyon run...

I drive a 3.2 Carrera quite often and I have no complaints about the stock gearing. The LSD in the 915 box is quite a nice thing to have as well...
shoguneagle
This time has become your "3.2 Hour". You are in the best and most capable hands of the "Great and Good Doctor Evil". He will spin his "majgical web of GOOD EVIL VIA THE EVILWORKS. Mike will give you excellent advice based on experience and the availability of "good quality" gears. He will build you the best transaxle possible with good available parts.

Everyone has suggested excellent ideas including the stock gear ratios, but much depends on the availability of excellent gears which the good Dr. has already sorted out based on availability and what each gear will do. I think the gear ratios suggested by the Dr are excellent choices. There may be better but these should do based on your idea of what they will do with the 3.2 engine. No matter what, it should really wake up the engine.

The good Doctor built my transaxle with somewhat similar gears: A, F, O, X, flipped H. I think Doc has obtained an excellent match through all the gears for your car.

There are a few people who give honest advice and provide excellent that you could give "free rain" in doing a job such as yours. One of them is the Great Doctor Evil and his Evilworks. Another it Eric Shea. I have done business with both of them and they are my experts I go to for advice, parts, service, etc. within their specialties. Both of them have never "steered me wrong".

You are in the right place and right time. The gears selected will meet your needs. Remember, Mike has screened the parts and he will only put in good ones. His risk is finding good parts for your build. This is a risk he has incurred before he even starts a build; Mike knows how to find the excellent used parts.

As you can tell, I am completely sold on Mike and his quality of services. It is so refreshing to find people such as him. If I do another build, I will tell Mike my objectives and give him free rain on building the unit. This authority I do not give everyone nor do I give it lightly. Eric is in the same position.

Enough said.

Steve Hurt
brp986s
I have the same size tires (205/55/15) with a 3.2 motronic, but run a 915 with a TM 5th. That gives 3k rpm @ 70mph. Mine is also street-only. There is enuff grunt to easily handle inclines you'll encounter on CA frwys, tho maybe not steep mtn roads. If I had it to again I would raise 4th, too. It's a bit of a drop down to 4th, and a reach up to 5th.
a914dude
Taller gears are always good with a grunt 3.2 or 3.6. I would suggest beefing up the supports for the shafts. My 915 killed itself when 2nd detonated. WEVO has some nice but pricey goodies.
Cairo94507
Thanks for the feedback. I knew i was in the best hands. We are blessed to have a pool of experts to draw from when it comes to building our cars. Thanks. Dr. Evil will reign supreme when it comes to my build.
Dr Evil
Steve, what ever I did to deserve a customer like you, I hope I can continue wink.gif

Cairo,
The main issue with gearing is it is analogous to me trying on a pair of pants and then telling you to buy them for your self because I think you will like them. I am lucky in that I have succeeded in such a task before, but nothing in life is 100%. However, the gears that I recommend will be a nice match for your engine. IF you end up dissatisfied with them, I will change them to what ever you want for no labor charge. Just parts smile.gif I am happy when you are happy. Simple as that.
Eric_Shea
What kinda shitty customer service is that? confused24.gif

hide.gif

biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Sticking with the analogy, I am so good at picking gears because everyone wants to get in my pants confused24.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
You rock buddy! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.