Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i lost my 4th gear!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BahnBrenner914
so i just got my 76 914 running and the valve covers and push rod tube seals replaced so i'm not donating excessive amounts of oil to the road. so i just took her out on the road to test her out. 1st gear is fine. second gear seems to be tough to get. its about 50/50 whether it engages or not. i figured that if i push it a little to one side while shifting in it works better. then i put it in 3rd, not tough, works well. then i rev it up to about 3500rpm (51mph?) and go to shift into 4th. nothing. can't find it anywhere. i already opened up the tranny on this car and the synchos are all fine, nothing completely broken. someone help me before i ar15.gif my 914.
Brad Roberts
Shift linkage is out of whack. Check all the shift linkage from shifter to tranny. See if any bushings have popped out or happen to be missing completely. If everything appears to be ok.. then you need to pull back the carpet on the center tunnel and adjust the shift rod going into the shifter. It is too far in one direction.

B
SirAndy
adjust your shifter ...

wink.gif Andy
BahnBrenner914
thanks, thats what i thought it might be. hopefully it's something simple and not expensive (knock on wood). i'll get to it tomorrow and we'll see what we'll see.
Bleyseng
Dave Hunt is in Gig Harbour if you need some help, I'll volunteer him.

Geoff
rhodyguy
how is the freeplay when in 2nd as compared to 3rd? another south sound owner. EGGSELLANT!!!

kevin
Eric_Shea
You didn't lose it you just misplaced it. As others have stated...look to the linkage for clues. I did this with the six a while back and limped home with second gear. I bought all new bushings... stem to stern. Now it shifts just as bad as it did when it was new biggrin.gif

I volunteer Dave Hunt as well... He's the master at these type of repairs. laugh.gif
rhodyguy
when you were checking out the transmission, did you inspect the ball cup bushing where the linkage enters the transmission?

kevin
BahnBrenner914
thanks for the imput guys. i checked the bushing at the bottom of the shift rod. looked fine. all of it was there and no cracks or worn down or anything. there is some free play in 2nd gear. it seems if i just push it forward, second misses the mark, i don't feel the synchro. but if i push it a little to the left against the spring, it goes right in. but now i can't get it to go over into the 4th/5th plain at all. headbang.gif i'm going to try to adjust smash.gif the linkage cause second feels like it isn't in enough and 1st, 3rd, and 5th are too far. or i'll just get mad and beer3.gif then ar15.gif
BahnBrenner914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 24 2004, 07:54 AM)
did you inspect the ball cup bushing where the linkage enters the transmission?

uhhhhhh.... perhaps. i really don't know off the top of my head what your talking about
SpecialK
It's pretty much where the shift linkage ends, and the transmission begins (shifterwise). Mine was non-existent when I open the plastic tranny cover. Replaced it and all is well again.
Bleyseng
Sounds like you need to adjust it alittle bit more to the right so you get 4th and 5th gear and also don't have to push against the lockout springs to get 2nd.

Geoff wink.gif monkeydance.gif
BahnBrenner914
thanks kevin. just opened up the plastic cover on the tranny, took the bushing out. cracked almost in half. i think the ball that's inside was pushing into the crack when i was trying to get into 4th. not getting far enough to engage. but i did try it just by grabbing the shift rod underneath and putting it in 4th. so i think a new bushing and a little adjustment (thanks for confirming my thought, geoff) are in order and we'll be on the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.