Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replace my alternator?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I have my engine out and removed my alternator to replace the wiring harness. The alternator works fine, but it will never be easier to replace it than right now.

What would you do?
r_towle
while it does suck to replace in the car...it can be done in about 30 minutes from underneath...provided all your heater pipes can be removed easily...

If you want to replace it...consider having the guys are Chelmsford Auto Electric rebuild it for you...

The stuff coming in from overseas has alot of quality issues...mainly starters and alternators.

Rich
ejm
I would wait for it to fail. The quality of rebuilds can be hit or miss and you may find yourself replacing it sooner than if you had kept the old one.
rwilner
with this car, I constantly flip back and forth between "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "while I'm in there..."

Think i'll leave this one alone.

thanks guys
Rich
TheCabinetmaker
I agree. Leave it alone.
rwilner
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 9 2011, 09:49 AM) *

I agree. Leave it alone.

I reinstalled it last night, but not before cleaning up the mounting bracket so it grounds properly biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
Did you pull the cover and check the electrical conections inside. The wire strands on mine had corroded and the currrent was all flowing through 4 "threads" Jeff Bowlsby has new ones and its an easy to do on the bench.
rwilner
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 9 2011, 08:24 PM) *

Did you pull the cover and check the electrical conections inside. The wire strands on mine had corroded and the currrent was all flowing through 4 "threads" Jeff Bowlsby has new ones and its an easy to do on the bench.

by "inside" do you mean the wiring harness or the parts internal to the alternator?
PanelBilly
the back cover comes off and there is a plug in connector and a wire with a nut and bolt connection, if I recall correctly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.