Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Motor Mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Bryan
I decided to replace the transmission and motor mounts today to further help remedy the sloppy shifting. The old transmission mounts were cracked and I replaced them with the 911 mounts from Pelican. I was a bit concerned that there were no rubber tabs on top where the flange rests like were on the stock ones, but these are what they recommended. They went in pretty easy.

Now the engine mounts. Dropped the cross brace and the mounts almost fell out. I noticed that one of the mounts did not have a lower bolt that attaches to the the cross brace. The upper stud was still attached to the bracket and I could see that they were cracked in two. It looks like the engine was only resting on the rubber stubs and not actually attached.

Click to view attachment

Both motor mounts are like this. What a bitch getting the top of the mount out. hissyfit.gif Had to remove all the heating tubes and I removed the mounting bracket so I could get at the top nut. Is this a common thing? The replacement motor mount studs look very whimpy and I wonder if this is going to happen again. Any recomendations before I put it all back together again?
luskesq
You don't specifiy the year of your 914 but I have a '70. I recently replaced both engine & tranny mounts with the 911 sport mounts (recommended on this site) I got from Pelican. Neither the engine or tranny mounts look like what you have. My old ones look more like the the 911 sport mounts. Other than having to ream out the bolt holes a bit, they fit fine. Maybe the later 914's are more like yours. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Good luck.

Keith

pete000
I am just about to do this job. I have repalced the trans mounts with Wevo units. I was wondering just how hard it was going to be to get to the top nuts. Sounds like it is a PITA!
sixnotfour
I wonder if this is going to happen again

yup 30 years from today

chevy had a similar problem and had a cable to limit the lift of the engine. They redesigned the motor mounts to have a interlocking design do it could not pull apart. This is when they were almost new.
Valy
The passenger side mount is the real PITA. Getting the bracket out worked nice for me.
Replace is a reversal process: mount it to the bracket and then mount the bracket with the engine mount.
They should hold a long time. not sure you'll have the opportunity to change them again.
TheCabinetmaker
Ive done this in the car several times. removal of the oil filter makes it easier to get to. A 1/4“ ratchet is a must. Most common reason they fail is getting oil soaked.
rwilner
I just did this job but my engine is out of the car. I couldn't figure out a way to get to the top nut without removing the fan shroud. Maybe it could be done?

To have a shot at the pass side, my opinion is that you'd have to remove the heater branch piece and the oil filter.
914Bryan
Got it done biggrin.gif What a pain, and I hope never to do it again! The trick is to remove all the heater tubes, and you have access to the bracket bolts. The bottom bolt is a no brainer, but the top one takes some finesse. You really cant see the bolt head so its all done blind. There is that magical moment when you have a ratchet on the bolt and have to bear down for that 1/16 of a turn to get it loose. Happily, once loose, it comes out with the fingers. Once out, I installed the new rubber mounts and then re-installed the brackets and bolted the bottom side back to the cross brace. Lots of hours on my back with oily grimy shit falling in my face; but we do this for love, right?

Took it out for a spin. Immediately noticed better shifting, no engine bucking and everything felt smoother. So it was a success.

In the end though, I think I need more than one C- to recover..Maybe a 12 pack! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.