Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resto raffle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
Wtih 2168 members, what would be the possibility of raffling a restoration? Say, $10 per ticket. If 500 members were interested, That could be $5000 towards a restoration on their 914. I know nothing of the legality and red tape that might be involved, it was just an idea I had.
bondo
I wonder if we have that many active members... Maybe there's an easy way for the admins to see how many members have logged in in the last month or so?
Robert21
idea.gif it sounds like a good idea , do it once a year .
i would buy a few tickets, need to change from 4 bolt, to 5 ,
keep thinking up new ideas
Ctrout
Could do a 50/50 raffle and give half to charity. That might help with legal issues. I guess we would have to vote on the charity though.
soloracer
Don't you 'mericans have to pay taxes (something like 50%) on all winnings? If so, the government would end up with 1/2 of the proceedes which I don't think is right seeing as how all the participants paid for their tickets with after tax dollars. Here in canuckle land all winnings are tax free. It's about the only tax advantage we have with the US.

Instead, how about we start a 914 restoration club with the goal being to restore one of the member cars. How we select a car would be our business. Since this is not a raffle would this get around the tax issue?
soloracer
One other thing, how would you confirm that the winner used the proceedes towards fixing up his car instead blowing it on holidays, booze and babes? I for one would be a more than a little choked if the winner did not use the money as intended.
Ctrout
Sounds like a good idea. Kind of like our own charity. Maintain a pool and select cars based on a predetermined criteria. I think that one disqualifier might be salvage titles. Why dump money into a good resto on a salvage vehicle that will never come close to the value of a vehicle with a clear title. Too bad for me that if we did that, my car would be ineligable. I don't have a title yet and if the lazy p.o.s. who gets to determine if I get a title ever returns one of my phone calls, I'll probably only get a salvage title.
Mike D.
I like the idea, but I don't think we can separate any winner based on the state of their title. The fact is that any of us can spend way more money than our car will ever be worth, salvage title or not.

I belong to Ski Club here in LA, and we are legally a non-profit organization. We do raffles and auctions, and donate money to charities. I can ask someone what and or if there are any legal issues.

Or we just do it under the table like an elementry school bake sale...

-Mike d.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.