Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting trans seperated from 914 engine-HELP!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mack914
I've been prying away all day, but still the trans won't seperate from the 914 engine block. I need some help, anyone ever have the same problem anbd what did you do?

thanks,
Mack ar15.gif
machina
there's a bolt (or nut) you have to get from the motor side, otherwise pull harder. smash.gif

dr
mack914
I disconnected the two bolts at the top and the two nuts at the bottom and removed the starter. smash.gif
SirAndy
ok, lessee ...

- take off 4 bolts tranny to engine
- unhook 2 tranny mounts in the back
- take off 2 axels
- take off shift linkage
- remove muffler/muffler hanger
- remove a bunch of cables to the starter and reverse switch
- remove speedo cable
- remove clutch cable
- disconnect tranny ground strap
- if you have a /6, remove throttle linkage

i think that's it, tranny should slide right out,
wink.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
if they've been together and unused a l-o-n-g time, the clutch could be rusted to the mainshaft splines and the flywheel. this is a hard thing to fix even when the car is together. if you're s-u-r-e all the fasteners are out, and you're not hoping to re-use the clutch disk, you might be able to spray in some PB Blaster to free things up ...
mack914
Drive train is out of car and sitting on a dolly. I have seperated the two about an 1/8 of an inch.

Come guys
Mack
Bleyseng
See if you can get a pry bar though the clutch arm access hole and pry it free. Use another flat bar between the tranny and engine. If the pressure plate and flywheel are rusted together its tough to get them apart. Pry slowly and use the PB Blaster to free things up. Be careful or you will damage both cases.

Geoff
Brad Roberts
Put something on the clutch arm and pull it back like the cable would.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(mack914 @ Jul 24 2004, 02:55 PM)
Drive train is out of car and sitting on a dolly.

you failed to mention that earlier ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: make sure it's not in a bind, weight of engine pressing down on the shaft.
mack914
I know that I'm not an idiot, but I don't care about the trans. I have sold the engine, that case I'm concerned about. I will pry away tomorrow.
Mack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.