Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing fiberglass 916 bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BahnBrenner914
so i got these new 916 bumpers but i have a '76 with the big ugly rubber bumpers mounted on shock absorbers. all the old bumper and shocks are removed. how do i install the new bumpers. they have a bracket at either end with two nuts ( i'm pretty sure this is the early style mounting set up. does anybody know of a tech article or can just explain it to me from experience?
SirAndy
on early cars the bumper are bolted to the body with 2 brackets (2 bolts each) using a hard rubber spacer ("dogbone") ...

i don't know if your '76 has the provisions for mounting early bumpers ...
wink.gif Andy
jgiroux67
Hey Andy,
What did you do for the area where the top of the 916 front bumper meets the front trunk. Also did you do anything for support in this near this area?

-Josh
BahnBrenner914
well i've already cut off the flanges that held the rubber in place and i crimped down the lip at the front of the front trunk so the bumper can actually fit on. now i just need to fit and do a little cutting to get it to fit. can i just drill holes where they would be on a pre 75? there's still a space between the bracket and the car. about 2 in?
Korijo
can i just drill holes where they would be on a pre 75?
yes
SirAndy
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 24 2004, 02:40 PM)
there's still a space between the bracket and the car. about 2 in?

yes, that's where the rubber spacer goes. get 4 from a wrecking yard/donor car ...

wink.gif Andy
Andyrew
Da t bones?

Err Dog bones whatever there called..
SirAndy
QUOTE(jgiroux67 @ Jul 24 2004, 02:36 PM)
What did you do for the area where the top of the 916 front bumper meets the front trunk. Also did you do anything for support in this near this area?

small L-shaped brackets to line it up nicely and give good support,
then lot's of FG and rasin ...

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
front:

IPB Image

rear:

IPB Image
jgiroux67
Andy,
Could you post a pic of a top view of the front bumper where it meets the hood?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jgiroux67 @ Jul 24 2004, 05:35 PM)
Could you post a pic of a top view of the front bumper where it meets the hood?

that's the best i have right now, car is at the shop, can't get to it until monday ...

tell me what exactly you want to see and i shot a pic monday. wink.gif

IPB Image
URY914
Andy,
You should have used red paint! ohmy.gif

Looks like you poured it on. Deep and rich.

Niice wink.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.