Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- 82 BMW 633CSI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
What are the pitfalls i need to look at?

VaccaRabite
1982, German and Daily Driver are not words that go well together.

If well maintained it could be fine, but when it needs to be fixed its going to be expensive.

Zach
r_towle
Rust, cooling system, all electronic switches, lights and. Sensors
Light control unit
Engine lights in dash

Mike Bellis
Was really cool when new. Now it is very expensive to maintain.
jeffdon
Thats why i love this bbs. Concise answers that cut to the chase. But ya'll still are thinking for a second "thats a good price".

r_towle
What price?
vwsamba
:agree:These cars are horrible, a friend had one for 6 months, let me see...multiple freeze plugs, water pump, PS hoses, suspension bushings, driveshaft bushings, many electrical gremlins and then finally (thankfully for me biggrin.gif ) the tranny went and that was it. big, heavy, fuel inefficient, smog monster, and not that nice to drive. Get yourself a 60's bug and be happy beerchug.gif
broomhandle
poor choice. electronics!!!!!!!!

for a daily driver (BMW wise) find a e30 318, little 4 cyl gets great millage.
rick 918-S
What are you people talking about? 633 CSI? 3300 engine. Check the radiator like Rich said, Check the clutch fan and water pump. Sway bar links could rattle causing you to think there is something really wrong with the front end. Guibo joint could be cracked causing the shaft to viberate. All easy fixes. The 82 electrics are durable. Pell the idle motor and clean it. It sludges up but is easy to fix. Check the rubber boot from the MAF to the throttle body for cracks. This will make the engine surge at idle.

Now the engine. The sprayer bar for the cam can become plugged or sludged over time causing the cam shaft to gall and eat a lobe. I had it happen once. You will have a slight miss. Otherwise the Engines have forged steel cranks. special grey alloy blocks, durable chain drive cam and super high mileage valve train and alloy head.

None of the things above are expensive to fix except the flat cam. The biggest minus to me is the drivers seat. High mileage cars will need a seat rebuild. Get it, do the maintenence and drive one of the ultimate driving machines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.