Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trunk wont unlatch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
70-914nut
I took my trunk pusbutton apart an i think i messed up. I closed the trunk and i cant get back open. Any help would be nice.
jaxdream
Is there anything in the trunk that would not allow you to get to the latch area , if so it will be a little tougher. Get someone ( or do it yourself ) to weld a 3/8" drive 10mm socket 12 pt , not 6 pt hex , to the end of a 1/4 - 5/16 " rod abot 43 inches long with another 3/8 " drive socket with the drive end out ( you are creating a 43 inch long 10mm socket 3/8 drive ) . Pry and push the rubber top seal by the engine compartment off the edge and out of the way so you can shine a flashlight into the trunk and slide the rod perpendicular the the latch. work the rod around to where you can get the 10mm end onto the bolt heads and unscrew them , lacth will rasie up still hooked on to the pin with the lid . Reinstall the latch when you figure out what the problem is . I did this on Sunday for Steve73 . He got a 914 that the previous ownere told him hadn't been opened in 5yrs, Steve has had it about 3 months locked until yesterday . Good Luck , it can be done .

Jack
partwerks
I had the luxury of a bit of a loose lid to start with, but I just went to the passenger far back corner of the lid and used a 3/8" rod and pushed the plunger down to open it.
914werke
chk the thread about homemade tools.
There you will find a solution~!
70-914nut
I was hoping for an easier way! Thanks guys. What a pain. It worked fine until i took out the locking mechanism. probably put it back in wrong or ajusted the reciever off a bit. Ill definately make sure it pushes the plunger in before i close the friggin trunk
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(70-914nut @ Oct 11 2011, 05:20 PM) *

I was hoping for an easier way! Thanks guys. What a pain. It worked fine until i took out the locking mechanism. probably put it back in wrong or ajusted the reciever off a bit. Ill definately make sure it pushes the plunger in before i close the friggin trunk

If you are really worried about it not opening while making adjustments, remove a tail light housing first. This will leave an opening to reach through if it all jams. When you are sure all is good, put it back in.
partwerks
I have the electric trunk release, but I also put a small hole above the license plate with a s.s. fishing line that attaches to the mechanism to release it manually as well.
Jasfsmith
I've had success on several rear tunk locks, by using a small drill (smallest you can find, smaller than the key slot. Insert the drill with bit (use a variable speed drill) all the way in. When you turn the drill on (as if you were drilling) you are against the screw that holds the locking cam on the inside to the cylinder. The drill will bite the screw and back it out. Cam comes off and trunk opens freely. Once open screw the cam back on, and away you go. Trick is to use a super small drill, as little pressure as needed and keep it centered. It will not knick the cylinder pins.

Should take you about 60 seconds.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Oct 12 2011, 08:42 AM) *

I've had success on several rear tunk locks, by using a small drill (smallest you can find, smaller than the key slot. Insert the drill with bit (use a variable speed drill) all the way in. When you turn the drill on (as if you were drilling) you are against the screw that holds the locking cam on the inside to the cylinder. The drill will bite the screw and back it out. Cam comes off and trunk opens freely. Once open screw the cam back on, and away you go. Trick is to use a super small drill, as little pressure as needed and keep it centered. It will not knick the cylinder pins.

Should take you about 60 seconds.

Now that is slick piratenanner.gif , I like it . It would work great when the little nub that pushes the release gets broken off the cam .

Jack
stugray
"Should take you about 60 seconds."

Nice trick but........

How the FUCH did you figure that out while locked out of the trunk???

Stu
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 12 2011, 04:32 PM) *

"Should take you about 60 seconds."

Nice trick but........

How the FUCH did you figure that out while locked out of the trunk???

Stu

I inspected the locking mechanism in my spare 914. <grin>

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.