Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duratech-what is it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I see "duratech" being used on the Gunnar website and I'm assuming it is sprayed on sorta like a gelcoat or sanding/surfacing treatment. I ran a Goggle search but didn't come up with it.

Anyone know about it or use it?

Paul
URY914
When the bodywork is completed, three good layers of duratech are applied.

From Gunnar's 904 project.

Is it a fibergalss product or a bodyshop product? Where to buy?

Paul
Jeroen
I wondered as well. Tried to search for it and couldn't find any info either confused24.gif
I'd like to know, cause it looks like it takes a lot of the hard work out of making f/g stuff

cheers,

Jeroen
TimT
Pual I think I saw a reference to what duratech is on Gunnars site.. however that site is so huge I have no idea on what page Kevin metions it..

Why not email gunnar and ask?
sj914
Could it be this

www.dura-tech.ca
Eric_Shea
I believe it is the same material as MarGlas. MarGlas is more expensive but Duratech comes from the same manufacturer but is branded differently to sell into a different market. Still about $45.00 per gallon.

It is the most wicked form of modern day Bondo available. Basically a two part epoxy mix with fiberglass strands mixed in. Super strong and indestructable. You can actually form shapes with it.

Perfect for top coating fiberglass flare installations for a no crack finish (if you glass them from behind as well).

I think that's the name the "generic" brand goes by...
URY914
I'll have to ask my f/g supplier.

But Eric, sounds like you've got the best answer.

Paul
Mark Henry
"Duratec clear hi gloss additive is a high quality two component themoset additive designed to inhance goss, flow and chemical resistance in production gel coats. This material will reduce porosity and orange peel in tooling gelcoats to help produce a superior mold surface. Size: 3.78 L Part # 904001 "

http://www.vikingplastics.ca/suppliers.html

Mine's the best answer. Nah na-na na nah mueba.gif happy11.gif
TimT
Me thinks Mark wins biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn biatch w00t.gif

Do a google search on MarGlass (two ss'). There's a similar product that I thought they called DuraTech but, obviously NOT Markey!! laugh.gif
URY914
Mark, you win buddy. smilie_pokal.gif
Come to Florida and claim your prize. beer.gif

Paul
Eric_Shea
While looking at some of those MarGlass searches I found the source of my confusion...

Marglass and Duraglass are just the names that Marson and USC give to their
reinforced filler.

Duraglass. Duratec. Whatever... (think you're so smart Mark!!) laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Could this be the day when Mark changes his freekin avatar ??

B
TimT
wierd how the Duratech site is www.duratec1.com.... and it flies under googles radar

so much for registering with search engines
URY914
Feather Fill

A catalyzed polyester primer designed for spray application. It offers hi build-up capability and easy filling of grazed surfaces.

This may be the same type of stuff. $54.00/gallon from my supplier's website.

Paul
URY914
My supplier's site:

http://fgci.com/

Paul
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 24 2004, 07:01 PM)
Could this be the day when Mark changes his freekin avatar ??

B

You don't like Ren smack??? :finger2:

I've had that since the site started I think wink.gif

I'm too lazy (or is that busy, built 3 engines this week) to go looking for avatars...maybe I'll stick a nickie up there when I get my 103's idea.gif
Eric_Shea
I believe (here we go again) that feather fill is a heavy primer they use. My car has three coats of it. Lay it on. Sand it off.

Here's a shot with it on and some of it sanded through. (Mark... you and you're old avatar stay out of this..) mad.gif

biggrin.gif
rhaas
Duratech is basically a high build primer for fiberglass. It is based on vinylester resin with some filler. You normally use this when you want a good primer on the mold before you make your part. That way when the part is removed from the mold it has a primer already on it that is easier to prep than a gelcoat. There are many diferent grades of it depending on what you want to do. There is a lightweight fairing grade that is easy to sand. These products are a standard in the boatbuilding industry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.