Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: BMW 633 CSI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Looking at a 82 633 CSI with about 117k on it. No AC. Would it be hard to add AC?

What other things should I be looking for? My impression was that these inline 6s run forever.
Tom_T
Jeff....or Don...or ?? - biggrin.gif

I still use my 1 owner 85 325e with essentially the motor as my DD at almost 180k now - no engine work so far.

Check around for a wrecked 633/635 (other models may be interchangeable, so check with dealer or Bav Auto), & pull the full system off of it, including interior stuff & compressor - but use that compressor for a core for a "new freon" conversion. You'd need to replace the receiver drier & all soft lines too while you're in there" to save grief, but be prepared for several rounds of clearing the old crud out of the system & replacing compressors.

Ergo, I suggest using a local independent BMW shop to do it so that they can pull & warranty out the compressors & any other new parts replaced. I had my local guy change out the Westy to R134 immediately when it's OE compressor failed, and changed the 325e's after it had been in-op for several years. Apparently sitting a long time is the problem, as will be the case with a wrecked 633/635 system transplant.

There is a BMW forum similar to this one where you could probably get better answers:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/index.php

http://www.bavauto.com/

BTW - IMHO the 633/635 is a great looking car & classic styling up to par with my other fav - the late-60's - early/mid-70's 2.8/3.0 CS/CSi!!!! drooley.gif wub.gif
jeffdon
Thanks for the info. My Mom is still driving her 85 325, and has kept it looking almost new. Keep telling her i will give her 500 bucks for her "old car", but she aint buying it.

Any other trouble spots on the 633 i need to worry about?
Rleog
If you find significant rust around the front shock towers, run the other way.
JmuRiz
For what it's worth, there are two 635CSIs in my neighborhood that are daily driven. One by a 20-something and another by what must be the original owner(amazing car!!!)
Eddie914
If maintained half way decently, the 633csi will last well into 200k to 300k.

The 1982 633CSI is the first year of the updated e24 model designation for the big BMW coupe. The engine is known as the "Big Six" (M30 designation). Many consider the M30 to one of the best engines ever for BMW.

Go to: www.mye28.com .... I know the 633csi is technically an e24 but this is the best DYI site for these cars

My daily driver is a 1988 M5 (e28). I have had four BMW sedans from the 1980's designated as e28 ... very similar to the e24 coupe as far as drivetrain and suspension.

These were all running very strong when I sold them ...

1985 535i - 175,000 miles
1988 M5 - 212,000 miles
1988 M5 - 320,000 miles

My current 1988 M5 has ONLY 151,000 miles. Very reliable ... not to mention fast & fun.

Problems:

suspensions bushings at 150k or 15 years
waterpump 150k
cam oil squirter banjo bolts loosen
clutch at 150k (not so much wear as springs get stiff resulting in worn TO bearing or broken pedal bracket)
AT trans governor (DO NOT rev the engine too high nuetral)

A/C? I thought they all came with A/C

Good Luck
jeffdon
When I caled on it the guy claimed it did not have AC. Maybe he meant it just was not working.
karlo
I have a 1985 635. It's done about 200k, but I still use it as a daily driver. It feels very solid, but then I maintain it quite well. With plenty of torque you rarely have to rev the engine much, so the engines generally last a long time.

The E24 shares a lot of parts with the 5 series of the same period, so wear parts are cheap and easy to get hold of. Body parts, not so much. Be warned that E24s rust. Wheel arches, floors and rocker panels are the primary candidates. Some body parts are available, but aren't cheap.

You should also know that there are two versions of the E24. The first version is based on the E12 5-series, the later is based on the E28 5-series. The change happens in 82/83, so this car may be the E12 version. The E28 based cars had somewhat improved suspension, and upgrades are easily found.

Driving wise, the E24 is a little tail happy, and connoisseurs will prefer the 5 series of the period, since it's a little better balanced. However, the 6 is the better looking car, and I haven't driven a 5, so I can't say. The M6 has the battery in the rear, which gives it a little more weight over the rear axle. I performed that modification, but the car still likes to kick it's tail. smile.gif
CMONNETT
The older 6 series cars were great. My dads first 635csi went over 300,000mi with out and serious engine work. That thing never even had the cylinder head off. I think he had to put a transmission in it somewhere around 250k. Great buy if you can find a nice one. He replaced it with a 89 635csi that only had 58K on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.