Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shift bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yorkt
Since I replaced the bushings in my 73 side shifter I cannot shift into 4th or 5th. What did I do wrong?
GeorgeRud
Your shifter bar is probably just indexed incorrectly. If you watch the action at the shift console on the transmission while someone moves the shifter, you should be able to see which way it needs to be adjusted. There are splines in the shifter that allow you to adjust this easily by simply loosening a clamp.
Richard Casto
Need more details. I am assuming that once you replaced your bushings that you re-adjusted your shift linkage? I assume that 4th and 5th worked fine before? Anything else change?

In short... Select 3rd gear. Leaving the transmission in gear, loosing the pinch bolt under the shift lever. Then you position the shift lever where 3rd should be in the "H" pattern. Use the spring plate as a guide to keep it in the 2nd-3rd plane. Tighten up the pinch bolt. Verify that you can now get all six gears (1-5 and Reverse). Repeat if you don't quite get it right the first time. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that is the general idea.

Richard
yorkt
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 10 2011, 01:25 PM) *

Your shifter bar is probably just indexed incorrectly. If you watch the action at the shift console on the transmission while someone moves the shifter, you should be able to see which way it needs to be adjusted. There are splines in the shifter that allow you to adjust this easily by simply loosening a clamp.

Thanks for the advice! We'll give it a try.
yorkt
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Oct 10 2011, 01:31 PM) *

Need more details. I am assuming that once you replaced your bushings that you re-adjusted your shift linkage? I assume that 4th and 5th worked fine before? Anything else change?

In short... Select 3rd gear. Leaving the transmission in gear, loosing the pinch bolt under the shift lever. Then you position the shift lever where 3rd should be in the "H" pattern. Use the spring plate as a guide to keep it in the 2nd-3rd plane. Tighten up the pinch bolt. Verify that you can now get all six gears (1-5 and Reverse). Repeat if you don't quite get it right the first time. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that is the general idea.

Richard

Thanks, Richard. Yes everything worked before we put the bushings in. Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.