Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! cylinder #3's got the devil in him
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hasaramat
Well after about 12 years sitting the 914 finally came out of the garage and ran up and down the street!!Click to view attachment
It runs but a bit on the rough side. I cannot get cylinder number three to wake up. When I pull the injector plug off the other three cylinders the engine "lumbers" but with number three nothing happens. Here is what I have done:
1- re-adjusted valves the captn's way, didn't need it
2- pulled the injectors and check for spray
3- compression test 118 psi
4- pulled the spark plug and checked for spark (it got me)
5- put #3 injector wire on #4 to make sure there was a signal
6- checked ground to number three injector wires
7- put another injector in #3
8- motor runs with no knocking "other than type IV noise"
9- when I drive it the motor seems to wake up at about 3000 rpm
10- new NGK plugs

It is a 1974 2.0 with euro pistons and everything else is stock.
I hope someone can give me a "OOH I haven't tried that"
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
pcar916
Are the injectors spraying the same amount of fuel?

After sitting for so long I've had to get them professionally cleaned. That goes for both electrical and CIS (K-jetronic) types.

If you have air, gas, and fire and no exhaust obstruction) then one of them is off or out of sync.

That said, I have no experience with those computers and whether or not they're capable of making this happen.
Bartlett 914
check the compression on all cylinders.
willamp
Even though you got a spark on number 3 wire I would suggest to swap or replace the wire with a different one. I had intermittent problems recently that turned out to be a bad spark plug wire. I think even though it would allow a spark it was weak and so the cylinder wouldn't fire under all conditions. It's a cheap thing to try.
FourBlades

Spark color should be blue/white and not red or orange.

John
hasaramat
The spark color did seem a little orange. I will change the cap, rotor and wire to see if that will help. I did check compression in #4 and it was 120 psi but I should check #1 and #2.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.