Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Rack Spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EPK
I guess I should have been more specific with my question regarding the installation of Steering rack spacers after you lower the car.
The problem is this, when the stock bolts are removed the rack doesn't want to be lifted up in order to add the spacers and longer bolts?. Does something else need to be loosened in order to install the spacers and longer bolts.
Brad Roberts
Yes. Loosen the U joint bolts inside the car. Installing those rack spacers ALMOST puts the steering linkage in bind.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 24 2004, 11:34 PM)
Yes. Loosen the U joint bolts inside the car. Installing those rack spacers ALMOST puts the steering linkage in bind.

agree.gif otherwise the rack won't be able to move. just losen the joint inside the car, center, where it comes out of the firewall. that way the rack will drop down enough to get the spacers in.

wink.gif Andy
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(EPK @ Jul 24 2004, 10:16 PM)
I guess I should have been more specific with my question regarding the installation of Steering rack spacers after you lower the car.
The problem is this, when the stock bolts are removed the rack doesn't want to be lifted up in order to add the spacers and longer bolts?. Does something else need to be loosened in order to install the spacers and longer bolts.

I had the same problem. You would think they would put in a reminder or basic instructions smash.gif
Eric_Shea
I posted this in another thread but it sounds like it might be useful here... These are the instructions that should come with the Weltmeister kit.

(2) 17mm and (2) 13mm bolts get the suspension pan off.

(2) 17mm bolts hold the rack to the crossbar.

You should also have a 13mm and a 14mm open end wrench to loosen the u-joints under the dash.

1. Loosen the u-joints under the dash.
2. Take the suspension pan off.
3. Remove the 17mm bolts holding the steering rack.
4. Lift the rack and insert bump steer spacers.
5. Install new (supplied, longer) 17mm bolts holding the rack to the crossbar. Torque to spec.
6. Install the pan.
7. Torque the u-joints to spec.

Lowering the car requires an 11mm socket on a ratchet or an 11mm open end wrench. The socket is obviously faster. To lower the car, loosen the adjustment screws on the end of your torsion bars. Bounce the car and take measurements to the top of the wheel arch. There is a factory procedure for setting the ride heigth which basically requests that the tie-rods be parallel with the ground. This is what the bump steer spacers accomplish.

8. Get an alignment.
jporsche914
Where exactally are the u joints under the dash?? Any pics off the process??
Eric_Shea
Where exactally are the u joints under the dash??

Uhhhh is this a trick question? biggrin.gif

They be "under" the dash... wink.gif

Actually, it's pretty obvious once you get under there. The rack is centered in the car so the joint is in the center by the firewall and the u-joints take the link over to the steering column.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Jul 25 2004, 05:31 PM)
Where exactally are the u joints under the dash?? Any pics off the process??

rolleyes.gif
EPK
To All
Thank you very much for your advice and information on the rack spacer problem, piece of cake now.
Ernie K
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.