Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak after changing to Brad Penn oil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I used to see a little bit , a few drops here and there, but now since changing to the Brad Penn have a mess on the garage floor

Not sure where from but seems it could be from the oil cooler seal? i cant really see for sure.

i dont see any major leaking from the push rod tube seals, but these should be replaced anyway, they look original

- car is 75 2.0, i have lots of documents from p.o's but nothing to show any problems here before-
I have had it for 2 years., only about 2,000 miles on it since then, but about 130,000 on the original engine, - good compression , car runs good now that the F.I has been competely redone.

just wondering if the oil change could have been part of the issue - i was using a straight weight conventional oil . maybe about 500miles of driving with the brad penn, - did notice it right away, and not coming from the filter.

pw.
ConeDodger
It is probably just time to re-seal the motor. I doubt that the oil change caused the increased leak. Something that had been blocking the leak just broke free...
tradisrad
before you condem the oil cooler seals you should check the oil pressure switch for a leak there.
I too doubt that the change in oil caused the leak. One other thought is that you may have higher oil pressure with the 20/50 vs that straight 30w and perhaps that is exacerbating an existing leak.
SUNAB914
Hey Phil, make sure you tightened the drain plug! better yet the oil filter.
Good luck, buddy!
wingnut86
same thoughts up here Phil.

You removed the cheap stuff and added liquid gold, now the lead pipes need replacing as well.

Lots of spare stuff on the 2.0 in pieces in the garage Noting the cylinders/pistons/rings/push rods/adjusters are shot - otherwise, all good.

biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Oct 11 2011, 03:26 PM) *

same thoughts up here Phil.

You removed the cheap stuff and added liquid gold, now the lead pipes need replacing as well.

Lots of spare stuff on the 2.0 in pieces in the garage Noting the cylinders/pistons/rings/push rods/adjusters are shot - otherwise, all good.

biggrin.gif

probably- Im told the synthetic has smaller molecules, thus beginning to see the leaks that had been clogged- , i should just pull this but i want to drive it!!!!!! no that the weather is nice, if it goes up on the stands there is no telling when it will come down!!!!
thanks for the offer, - - ive never pulled one of these so i need to figure out what i need to do that, and go from there.

pw

maybe a watch the gamecocks in the afternoon after a " pull the motor morning"?

free pizza soda etc (sorry i'm a teatotaler- no alcohol biggrin.gif )

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Oct 11 2011, 03:25 PM) *

Hey Phil, make sure you tightened the drain plug! better yet the oil filter.
Good luck, buddy!

yea, i checked those, they are good- i think its at the oil cooler other places, but i'm watching it close . - dont want to run out !! beer3.gif
rmital
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 11 2011, 03:54 PM) *

.... Im told the synthetic has smaller molecules, thus beginning to see the leaks that had been clogged- .....

was told the same thing years ago when switched to synthetic.... flag.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(rmital @ Oct 11 2011, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 11 2011, 03:54 PM) *

.... Im told the synthetic has smaller molecules, thus beginning to see the leaks that had been clogged- .....

was told the same thing years ago when switched to synthetic.... flag.gif

........Goes like that fellas! poke.gif flag.gif idea.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.