Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A review of the 914Rubber.com bumper tops. . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toolguy
Got to admit I was reluctant to order Repro bumper tops, but real ones just don't exist. . .I checked the 'other guy's from Georgia nad felt Marks had better potential, plus Marks has better prices and included shipping. . . so I ordered front and rears from Mikey / Mark [914Rubber.com]

Got them in 6 days, unlike how the 'guy back east' generally ships things. . . . . . .
They are absolutely and incredibly original in appearance. . If anything, they are better than OEM was even when they were new. . .Texture and all outwardly appearances are identical to OEM. . . they are apparently better constructed because they are a lot firmer, meaning they don't flap and bend like an old original one. . Mark said they are made with stainless steel reinforcements and stud mounts so never any more rust issues. .
The ones I got are Marks current 3rd generation design. . .

I've been doing PCA Concours since the 70's and I'm definitely on the picky side when it comes to originality. . . Mikey's bumper tops exceed my expectations. . . If anything, I'd suggest if you're considering get tops, go with Mikey's. . . and do yourself a favor and get both front and rears. . . . His will make your old tops look like junk yard items. . .
And no, I don't know or am related to Mark. . . I just a very happy customer. . .
dlkawashima
If you don't mind, can you snap a close up picture of the top? I'm interested in seeing the texture ..... if it matches that of the original. I have seen repro tops (which I thought were from 914rubber but maybe they were from AA) and they were not as smooth as the originals.
JRust
agree.gif Mark's bumper tops are extremely nice. I love mine & put them on my LE resto. I highly recommend them & I had the first generations beer.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 11 2011, 10:59 AM) *

If you don't mind, can you snap a close up picture of the top? I'm interested in seeing the texture ..... if it matches that of the original. I have seen repro tops (which I thought were from 914rubber but maybe they were from AA) and they were not as smooth as the originals.

Dave, the OEM ones are not smooth from the factory, but rough like the repros. After years of wear from washing & cleaning, product build-up & even black shoe polish that some CW guys used - they get smoother looking.

I've seen both Mark/Mikey/914rubber & AA's, & they both match OEM "new" look - in fact a bit better! I had bought an OEM one for my resto before I knew about 914rubber's ones, then saw OEM rear & Marks front on SoCal Andy's yellow 72 resto (see COTM Oct/Nov 2010 IIRC) & they were indistinguishable from the OEM.

So I ordered both F&R from Mark (before AA's were out) & his actually look BETTER than the OEM rear one! blink.gif

I decided to go with them F&R for the same reasons as Toolguy above: SS reinforcements & mounting studs which won't rust (causes the dimpling on the top), the plastic/rubber is not porous like the OEM ones (allows moisture inside) & will be easier to keep looking nice & black.

OEM R Bumper Top Pads - overall & close-upshots:
- Top one was on my 73 914-2.0 since at least 11/75, if not since built 8/72, & was damaged in the 5/85 whack job by the ditz in the UCAL parking structure.
- Bottom one was ordered 3/09 from PP/Automotion from Porsche & pic was fresh out of the box in 4/09 upon reciept (complete with shelf dust from the Porsche parts warehouse)......

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

By comparison to Toolguys shots of 914rubber's one - those look the way you want the top pads to look after detailing, whereas the OEM one needs some TLC right out of the box above!
shades.gif
RON S.

Another great vendor shout out. thumb3d.gif

My car has almost every piece of rubber that Mark has reproduced. Everything I've received has been spot on, top notch, and with pricing that is hard to imagine how he turns a profit. I can say that because I've worked in manufacturing all my adult life.

These bumper tops are another credit to a great vendor and supporter to our hobby. 14.gif

(Note to Mark) Please don't ever tell us your creations are made in China..

Way to go, and keep up the good work clap23.gif

Ron
ConeDodger
I bought the reportedly 'last set' of NOS that Strasse had a few years ago. They are still very nice and look very much like Mark's reproduction. Another very nice job by 914Rubber.Com.
eric9144
idea.gif Hmm, that texture looks just like a factory dash... (hint hint Mark!)

Nice to see this review, Very Helpful! I've wondered myself, some of the repro parts I've seen have been poor quality or just "off" in terms of texture, color or fit.

I'm a borderline CW type when it comes to my expectations on this stuff and just can't bring myself to use some of the repros, like the turn signal lenses...ugh...

I've had great experiences with all my 914rubber purchases, Mark rocks! aktion035.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 11 2011, 04:55 PM) *

Nice to see this review, Very Helpful! I've wondered myself, some of the repro parts I've seen have been poor quality or just "off" in terms of texture, color or fit.

I'm a borderline CW type when it comes to my expectations on this stuff and just can't bring myself to use some of the repros, like the turn signal lenses...ugh...

I've had great experiences with all my 914rubber purchases, Mark rocks! aktion035.gif

On it. More info soon.
nsr-jamie
Mark are you serious? 914 dashes may be coming out? Now that is something I really need to finish my interior and something stronger than OEM that won't crack. If so, I predict you will sell many of them. Cheers beerchug.gif
Socalandy
I have a set on my 72 and will be ordering for my current project

Awsome Work!!!
kconway
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 13 2011, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 11 2011, 04:55 PM) *

On it. More info soon.

Targa pad please!!! biggrin.gif
moparrob
I need a dash pad too, if you are gauging interest at this point...
jeeperjohn56
I would be interested in a Dash pad and a Targa pad If done, put me down. John driving.gif
02loftsmoor
I need both front and rear bumper trims and dash! Could the bumper trim be sanded and painted?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.