Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving car after engine removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I'm going to pull the motor out of my '76 next week but will need to move the car after it's out (Our fleet mechanic dosn't appreciate having his bay tied up with non-company vehicles while he's trying to work). Is there anything I should do before moving it, i.e. CV joints, axles, etc? Being that I have never done this before I don't want to tear any thing up. confused24.gif
machina
besides tying up the CV's, I had a problem just making sure the damn car didn't roll into the street.

Without the motor/tranny in the car you can't leave it in gear to park, and of course the emergency brake was completely shot.

I ended up threading a chain thru the wheel just in case somehow the wood block got kicked out.

also might want to cap the fuel lines well and oil lines if you have them.

dr
Demick
Bag the CV's with plastic baggies and a rubber band to seal them off. Then tie up the axles. I used copper house wiring. Here's a picture of how I did it. After they were tied up to the rear springs, I put another piece of wire between the tie wires to keep it from sliding back down the axle when the axle rotates. I made the axles approx level. Then just pushed the car out of the garage.
lapuwali
Rolling the car around by hand should be fine. Don't remove the half-shafts and try to tow the car any distance, however, or you'll ruin the rear wheel bearings and possibly the hubs.
Allan
Thanks guys. I wont be moving it far. Just pushing it around the lot to keep it out of the way. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.