Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
So... about 7 years ago, Jeff Bonano sent me a well-loved copy of this book. I was really dragging and frustrated with my car at the time.

I learned that I wasn't asking the right questions... wasn't stepping back and seeing things for what they were.

I found that copy of Zen yesterday and have been reading it again. It's good to refresh some of these lessons.

I'm going to put this copy aside and save it for my son. It might be valuable to him someday.
VaccaRabite
this is a book I have been meaning to read for ages but somehow never have. thanks for reminding me again to add it to my reading list.

Zach
strawman
Yupper, that one is a keeper for so many reasons. I read it whilst traipsing through Europe after college. Fond memories of a Eurail pass, a few hundred bux, a hospice "sleeve," and five weeks to kill.

A couple more of my traveling favorites: The Monkey Wrench Gang, Deseret Solitaire, Travels with Charley, Johnny Get Your Gun, and The Wayward Bus. I've read each of these books several times...
Eric_Shea
I need to pick mine back up again... Great read, especially if you have an old BMW.
BigDBass
Every few years I reread that book again and/or the "sequel" Lila. (Lila is a lot different, a bit more positive, and somewhat harder to follow.)
Elliot Cannon
I think I read this book many years ago. Isn't this about the guy who had a nervous breakdown, wrote the book and soon thereafter his Son was stabbed to death in San Francisco? Almost as depressing as some of Hemingways stuff. sad.gif
KaptKaos
Gumption traps.....
RiqueMar
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 11 2011, 08:36 PM) *

Gumption traps.....

Just finished 'The Art of Racing in the Rain'. Great book if you like racing.... Well, racing AND Dogs.
KaptKaos
Enzo.

anderssj
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 11 2011, 11:36 PM) *

Gumption traps.....

and "value rigidity" biggrin.gif

Need to reread ZATAOMM myself.

Another good (and related) read is Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford. Here's a link to his earlier essay on which the book is based:

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications...ss-as-soulcraft

and another ("while we're in there"):

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2...aintenance.html

rwilner
QUOTE(anderssj @ Oct 12 2011, 10:43 AM) *

Another good (and related) read is Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford.

agree.gif

I never read Zen, but bought the above book on a whim and ended up really resonating with it. A perfect read for either weekend warriors or (i imagine) professional wrenches.
VaccaRabite
Along these lines, The Gold Plated Porsche is a great, and fun, read on the perils of restoring an old car - and other travails of life's turns.

Zach
FourBlades

For plain entertainment, "The Last Open Road" series is great.

If you like sports car racing in the 50s they are classics.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.