Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zach's Carbs to Microsquirt conversion thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
VaccaRabite
:rollseyes:
VaccaRabite
Finished welding the intake pipe with the IAT bung.

Still cold, but above 20 so somewhat bearable.
Took it inside to paint. That will happen when the metal gets to room temp instead of ~25.

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Looks good Zach...when is the engine install party? beer.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jan 26 2014, 01:06 AM) *

Looks good Zach...when is the engine install party? beer.gif

Next week is the eastern outdoor show in Harrisburg.
I'm free after that. We could say the 8th if weather warms up a tad more.
Zach
type47
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 26 2014, 06:24 AM) *

We could say the 8th ...

The 8th is the drinking event down in Richmond ...
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 26 2014, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 26 2014, 06:24 AM) *

We could say the 8th ...

The 8th is the drinking event down in Richmond ...

So it is.
Funny. The outdoor show is a 9 day show. We were supposed to go on the 8th but are now going on the 2nd since none if the teams the Hunters care for are playing in the Super Bowl. Since I had taken the clinic off my calendar, it was out of my mind.
Zach
VaccaRabite
In all it's painted glory.
Click to view attachment
Ready for install on the air box.
VaccaRabite
Friday night is usually work night. Tonights plan was to install the new fangled firewall shift bushing fromthe shift kit. After thats installed I can put the engine back in the car. 33 degrees is even warmer then its been most of the past 2 months. But I was exhausted and went to bed early.

So why am I up at 3AM if I did not stay up to work on my car?

Both my kids got up at the same time and puked in their beds. And then after we got them cleaned up and fresh sheets, they both puked again. Now they are asleep and I am up, exhausted yet wired. Tomorrow is going to be fun.

Zach
VaccaRabite
More progress made.
I got the new fancy shifter bushing installed. Another very quality part for Racer Chris.
IPB Image

Don't look at the rust. If I see the rust I'll never get the engine in and never get my car on the road. There is no rust there.

And since I had the shifter all apart, I figured I'd change up my look. For the past few years I've been sporting this:
IPB Image
It was the prototype 917 knob - the first one I made.

I decided to change to this:
IPB Image
I figured a mushroom cloud better personified my car. I was going to put it on my Jeep, but my Jeep will get something else in time.

Anyway, I THINK that I am ready to put the engine back in. Which means that I need some folks to come over and help me. Some of the tasks need a second set of hands. I'll set something up after the clinic next weekend.

Zach
r_towle
So you have time for some rust converter paint on that lower firewall......

Just saying.
VaccaRabite
If my garage heats up to a point where I could put paint on before I get the engine in, that is a consideration. What kind of rust converting paint should be used?
Zach
McMark
What kind of priest converting paint should be used?

blink.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 2 2014, 08:06 PM) *

What kind of priest converting paint should be used?

blink.gif

agree.gif blink.gif
VaccaRabite
Goddamn ninjas are everywhere.
Now just answer the question.
Zach
Dr Evil
What is your question? What are you trying to convert priest to? Ninjas?
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 2 2014, 05:40 PM) *

Goddamn ninjas are everywhere.
Now just answer the question.
Zach

Use the kind that combines air pressure and sand dry.gif

Or the kind that uses electricity a grinder, and a knotted wire wheel dry.gif

Then beat yourself over the head with that can of " rust converter " dry.gif dry.gif
saigon71
Zach:

I have dabbled with quite a few rust-proofing options over the past few years. While its to early to really know which, if any, actually work as claimed...I would hit that area on the firewall with a wire wheel, apply two coats of "Rust Bullet" and a top coat and call it a day.

You don't want to be pulling that engine back out to address a rusty firewall next year.

Bob
VaccaRabite
This weekend... The engine may cough to life!!!

Matt, Mark and Bob have agreed to come over and spend the day with me saturday. Get the engine in the car, fuel hoses set, and hopefully start the bitch up!

I'm double checking things this week making sure I'm not going to be held up due to lacking a $.05 washer or something equally stupid.

Punchout list is slowly getting smaller. I'm getting excited!

If anyone else wants to come and help, just let me know!
Zach
mepstein
Help? I thought it was beer and chili ? confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
Never fear, food and beer will be provided.
Also, potentially other goodies.

Zach
saigon71
Looking forward to hearing that engine fire up Zach!

Matt...are you driving the 914 up? I'm undecided...concerned that all this snow melting may cause a wet/salty mess on the roads.

Catch everyone on Saturday.
VaccaRabite
I'm looking forward to seeing folks too!
VaccaRabite
Two cases of beer are chilling in the garage.
New red top is in the back of the truck.
Engine and various bits are ready to go.
Tomorrow is the day. :-)
r_towle
OMG....

Are you putting the motor in the car?
VaccaRabite
That's the plan.
That and hang out with other 914 guys.
Zach
balljoint
Good luck. Just as long as no one tries to put the SCROT winner back together. smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Mark, Bob and Matt showed up. Got a lot done, but the engine has not fired yet.

Shifter bar through the big firewall bushing. That was a tedious job even for two people.

Engine is in. Oil lines hooked back up to the cooler. Axles back in but not torqued properly or safety wired. Clutch cable hooked in and adjusted. Engine side fuel lines run.

At this point we broke for lunch. Chili and burritos. Yum.
Then Mark headed out.

Shortly after that a biker slid on gravel into the back of a pickup. Rider went superman over the truck. I called 911 while Bob went over to render assistance. This was essentially the end of the work session. No less then 2 ambulances, 2 cop cars, fire chief and the fire crash truck and a wrecker showed up. Rider was wearing a helmet which is unusual around here. Smart but unusual. Probably saved him.

When that was over Bob needed to head out. Matt and I wanted to get the engine side shifter bar in place and the exchangers / exhaust on. But, the shifter bar is very tight against the bar under the cockpit. There is paint on the inside of the engine bar at the join that I need to remove. Then it should fit.

At this point I was starting to get frustrated and had a headache from laying under the car. It was about 5 and Matt wanted to get home before it was dark. He was driving his 914. So that is where we called it.

Still some work to do, but a lot got done today and I appreciate the help and company!
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
So, fuel pump question. Bob and Mark puzzled over this for an hour with my Haynes and a tablet online.

So the line from the tank is clear (has a hose and filter on it). Do we run the return line back to the pump? Or should that go direct to the gas tank? This pump is in the front of the car, not in the engine bay.

Zach
ChrisFoley
S connects to the filter
D connects to the tunnel
R connects to the wye
McMark
agree.gif with Chris.

S - Suction/Supply from the tank.
D - Druck(Pressure) goes to the engine.
R - Return: this is a bleed off in case the D port is over pressurized. Connect this with the return line from the engine and the return port in the tank. You need a Tee or 'Y' connection to hook the three lines together.
VaccaRabite
Ahhhhh!
We knew we needed a T or a Y but could not figure out where it went.
Zach
r_towle
Ok, I was worried you might actually get it running...whew
VaccaRabite
Goal for tonight: Fuel pump in, and rear shift linkage fitted.

9:03 PM. Kids are in bed. Time to get working.
Zach
mepstein
Funny timing, I was just about to PM you and check on status. Do you need a plastic cover for the rear shift console? I found one in my stash. Comes with the rubber accordian boot.
VaccaRabite
Yes. Yes I need those. Thank you!
Got the fuel pump plumed in and the shift rod in place. Rod is loose for adjustment at the console.

Next task will be to get the tank in place w/o kinking the hoses. Tank is attached to the hoses but I did not have the energy to deal with it tonight.
Zach
scotty b
yawn.gif
VaccaRabite
Ahh. Not buried in work. Not traveling. Actually have the chance to work on my car tonight.

Well, until dinner when my eldest son suddenly started pulling his ear and said he could not hear well. So instead I'm waiting to see the after hours doctor. Maybe tomorrow?
Grumble. I'm just not supposed to get this heap to Hershey, it seems.

Zach
Dr Evil
Just shove our phone in his ear and take a pic. Send that to me and I will take a look biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Raging ear infection in the ear and ear canal. Yea!
Will see if I can get some work in tomorrow. I'm going to bed.
Zach
VaccaRabite
Cigar break time.
CVs are torqued. Tangerine shifter bar is adjusted from under the car. That was a task. Lots of trial and error of tightly machined parts. But it is in and done!

Break for a bit to get out from under the car and then it's time to put on the exhaust.
Progress is slow, but progressing none the less.
Zach
VaccaRabite
Bah. No more work tonight. Temps have tumbled and I can't find the hardware needed for the heat exchangers. I'll pick new stuff up tomorrow and try to get the exhaust on tomorrow. But, I got some good work done tonight, and hope to get more done tomorrow. :-)

I did get the gas tank in, and time will tell if the lines under it are kinked. I'll figure that out when I can get the back end of the car on the ground and the front end up.

Zach
hot_shoe914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
saigon71
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 5 2014, 11:43 PM) *

Bah. No more work tonight. Temps have tumbled and I can't find the hardware needed for the heat exchangers. I'll pick new stuff up tomorrow and try to get the exhaust on tomorrow. But, I got some good work done tonight, and hope to get more done tomorrow. :-)

I did get the gas tank in, and time will tell if the lines under it are kinked. I'll figure that out when I can get the back end of the car on the ground and the front end up.

Zach

Getting that gas tank by yourself must have been a chore. dry.gif

I had a kink in one of my lines after installation but was able to work it out through the access hole.

Keep on truckin Zach...the Central PA Green Teeners must all be at Hershey this year!

Bob
type47
hmmm... I installed my gas tank then cut the fuel hoses to fit as a straight piece from the SS fuel line to the tank nipple. That way no possibility of kinking in the bend. The IS possibility of kinking if the cut piece is too long and would tend to try to bend and then kink in the bend. But if cut to just the right length, it's a straight piece. It is kinda a b!tch to tighten the hose clamps through the access hole but a right angle ratcheting tool was in the tool box and did it's job...
VaccaRabite
I like to have a service loop under the tank in case I have to pull it again. Which in theory I will do before too long when I start to reinstall the heat system to the cabin. Between the access hole and the front pump I hope to be able to smooth out any kinks.

I decided to order bolts from Bolt Depot last night instead of heading to True Value today. Will have to wait a few days to install the exhaust, but it gets me nuts and bolts with a 12mm head instead of the usual 13mm. That last mm is a big deal when installing heat exchangers. And I don't NEED exhaust to start it up the first time...

Steven is coming over next Saturday. I really want to start it with him there to help me get it running.
Zach
VaccaRabite
Had a really productive afternoon. Almost felt like I was back at the University again.

I got cut loose from work at 2:15 today by surprise when a training class ended early, and the one meeting I promised my boss I'd call into got rescheduled! Got home with 2 hours before the kids/wife would get home.

I made use of my time by getting the exhaust on my 914.

First I checked the torque on the CVs and then safety wired them.
Then the SS exchangers and TRIAD went up. Lots of fiddling to get it even, and no way to check for leaks right now but I think I have it pretty good. And the Triad looks awesome.

IPB Image

And got the o2 sniffer in (was kinda a bitch to get a wrench on it...)
IPB Image

I was getting the starter wired back up when wife and children came up the driveway and I had to stop. All I need to do before dropping the car back to the pavement (so I can raise the front end...) is tighten the leads on the starter, and check nuts and bolts. Maybe another 30 minutes of work (including lowering the car back down.)

Zach
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 6 2014, 09:54 AM) *

I like to have a service loop under the tank in case I have to pull it again.

We've found that the 30R9 fuel hose kinks very easily when bent in a U.
VaccaRabite
So.... What does that mean I need to do? Straight line like Jim said, or just try to work the kinks free? What is the preferred way to work with this hose?
Zach
Chris H.
I don't know but your custom rear 914 badge is awesome.

Not helpful at all I know.

Sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.