Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zach's Carbs to Microsquirt conversion thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
VaccaRabite
Its a possibility. Mark does not think so, but it is a possibility.
Also a strong possibility that I don't have the software set up properly.

The shield wire grounds to the engine case. I am wondering if it has an improper ground. I'm going to pull the doghouse at some point this week (if I can get time) which will also let me pull the wire and sensor. Then I can test it on the bench.

Zach
toon1
At this point I'd start looking at taking everything, put it on a bench top, hook the TWo a drill, hook the rest to a stim board and diagnose.

It must be a PITA to try and trouble shoot everything bent over the engine bay.
VaccaRabite
At this point the tach is the only sensor malfunctioning. Everything else seems to be working fine and responding to input.

Zach
McMark
I'm just gonna be an asshole until it happens -- use the tooth analyzer tool.

biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I will. Sometime this week I will get that loaded. Was hoping to today but kid B and I both get t stomach bugs today. :-(
Dtjaden
Zach,

I may have lead you astray with my comment about wrong sensor type. I have an MS3ex so VR vs Hall requires jumpers on the main board. I believe you are using a Microsquirt which requires different wiring connections to the ecu and no internal changes.

The appropriate manual for Microsquirt discusses checking out the crankshaft sensor in section 2.15 on page 38. This is a link to the manual:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasquirt2...ting_Up-3.3.pdf

I tested the sensor location using the Composite Logger and Tooth Logger as discussed in the manual just using the starter to turnover the engine. I had to adjust the sensor location location closer to the tooth wheel than I initially had set it to get a crank signal.

Darryl
crash914
Let me know, but I seem 2 be available this weekend if I can help. If not, I will put mine back together...
VaccaRabite
I'm helping family move Saturday but will be free Sunday.
crash914
I should be able to do Sunday, anytime after 12:00..
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(crash914 @ May 28 2015, 04:53 AM) *

I should be able to do Sunday, anytime after 12:00..

Awesome. Bring your oscilloscope. If we do nothing but get the tach readout working I'll call that a win for the day!

Course, if we get the tach signal working, it will probably fire up.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Last night I got the BG 3.83 code loaded. Yay!
I also tried to load the tooth analizer, but the firmware uploader did not like it. Need to see if there is a different uplader for that code.

However, once the BG 3.83 code was loaded, the ECU started constantly tripping the fuel pump solenoid. Nonstop. As soon as it finished one pulse, the solinoid would trip for another.

At this point I was too tired to continue (was not able to start work until 10PM last night) so I just unplugged everything and came in. I'm going to reload the MSextra 3.3.3 code and run with that. I may also try the MS uploader to see if I can get the tooth analyzer to work - but this will be obviated if Herb brings his oscilloscope tomorrow.

Zach
crash914
Planning on it!
McMark
The pulsing fuel pump will go away once you choose the ecu type in the general settings. Which is to say, it's normal.
VaccaRabite
Stuff got done today.
We did not fire, but we got closer!

Herb and his son came over.
We got the B&G 3.830a code loaded on the ECU
We used Herb's oscilloscope to confirm that we were getting a solid VR signal from the crank wheel.
We wiped out the B&G code and loaded the tooth analyzer to confirm that the ECU was recognizing the signal from the VR.
Put back on the B&G code and got stuck.
So we called Mark out in California who walked us through the settings needed to have the ECU start using the tach signal.

We got the VR signal reading the 170ish RPM from cranking, and even got an occasional spark (as registered from the timing light). But the engine would not fire.

Aside from getting the right fuel and the right spark at the right time, logs showed that the ECU was getting shitty power. We think this was due to an early iteration of the fuse block on the harness. Mark has since moved to a more robust block, and I bought one to replace the fuse block currently on the harness.

Click to view attachment
Output from the tooth analyzer. The missing tooth was inverted here, so we had to change the setup in Tuner Studio.

Zach
904svo
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 31 2015, 04:16 PM) *

Stuff got done today.
We did not fire, but we got closer!

Herb and his son came over.
We got the B&G 3.830a code loaded on the ECU
We used Herb's oscilloscope to confirm that we were getting a solid VR signal from the crank wheel.
We wiped out the B&G code and loaded the tooth analyzer to confirm that the ECU was recognizing the signal from the VR.
Put back on the B&G code and got stuck.
So we called Mark out in California who walked us through the settings needed to have the ECU start using the tach signal.

We got the VR signal reading the 170ish RPM from cranking, and even got an occasional spark (as registered from the timing light). But the engine would not fire.

Aside from getting the right fuel and the right spark at the right time, logs showed that the ECU was getting shitty power. We think this was due to an early iteration of the fuse block on the harness. Mark has since moved to a more robust block, and I bought one to replace the fuse block currently on the harness.

Click to view attachment
Output from the tooth analyzer. The missing tooth was inverted here, so we had to change the setup in Tuner Studio.

Zach

Check the voltage on the coil, I had a problem when cranking the voltage would drop
low enought to stop the engine from firing. My fix was to wire the coil through a relay
to the battery post.
914itis
I've been watching this thread from day one. Every email notification I jump with anxiety.

This car is cursed.
VaccaRabite
Its getting closer. I've put all other hobbies aside this summer to work this out. Made my wood shop off limits. I've not been shooting (much) or building firearms at all.

For the past many years, I've ignored the car for projects with faster turn around. Now I'm trying to keep myself as laser focused on it as I am able.

When I get reliable spark (which is the battle I'm fighting now), I'll be able to set timing fairly easily. That will also get me to a point where it should start and idle.

The only rapid turnaround projects I have been doing are little things for the 914. Like installing the BMW mirror. And today I took off a door panel to fix whatever was wrong with the window regulator. I've also really dialed in the shifter. Other small stuff like new carpet, LED tails and front turn signals, and rebuilding the front headlight mechanisms are on the work list too, but these are all "I'm frustrated lets do something easy" jobs.

The car has been problematic. But I'm learning everything as I do it. Bound to run into errors along the way.

Zach
Dr Evil
I look forward to this running.....and the subsequent "I got towed home again" posts as you work through all the bugs smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 31 2015, 10:42 PM) *

I've been watching this thread from day one. Every email notification I jump with anxiety.

This car is cursed.

No, just challenged.
76-914
Not trying to be mean spirited Zach. Just wanted to know when was the last time this car was on the road?
VaccaRabite
Spring of 2011 I got pissed off about carbs being pissy and decided to take it off the road till I found a better way.

Zach
toon1
have you been on the MS forums to get some answers there? They are a bit slow but usually give good info..

A good person to talk to is Matt Cramer, owner of DIY auto tune. He knows MS inside and out
type47
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2015, 06:07 AM) *

Just wanted to know when was the last time this car was on the road?

Zach at Halfmoon autocross
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 6 2015, 07:51 AM) *

Spring of 2011 I got pissed off about carbs being pissy and decided to take it off the road till I found a better way.

Zach

Smart move. Even if it takes a couple of years. I always thought that going from FI to carbs is akin to moving out of your house into a tent.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 6 2015, 01:12 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2015, 06:07 AM) *

Just wanted to know when was the last time this car was on the road?

Zach at Halfmoon autocross
Click to view attachment

This was the last weekend I drove the car for any length of time. After that it was a couple short trips, and then a big exhaust leak appeared (I hated that Eurorace header...) But that weekend may have been the cars longest ride, from York PA out to Cumberland. AX and back to York PA.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Just turned down a kayak down muddy creek trip to save time to work on my car tomorrow.
*sigh* that one kinda stung. Would have been with a crew that would have given me tips on how to get around a feature that has intimidated the hell out of me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oamv9OQy5g
These guys make it look easy....
Zach
crash914
Get r done!
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
We'll one mystery solved. Won't fire if it's not getting any fuel.
Guessing a kinked line under the gas tank somewhere.

Glad I finally plumbed in a pressure gauge.
McMark
biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 2 2015, 06:12 PM) *

biggrin.gif

And by that smile he means he's been there, done that! av-943.gif
sixnotfour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRX6hSGeZs4
jimkelly
car looks good.
[/quote]
Click to view attachment
[/quote]
wndsrfr
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 3 2015, 05:57 AM) *

Which brings to mind one of the real classics from Little Big Man...Sometimes the Magic Works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLso0ZBqOi4

jpnovak
Did you ever get this sorted and running?
VaccaRabite
Not touched it since June. Will pick it up again after hunting season.

Zach
VaccaRabite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAvXXTp2ZaM

It. Ran. Today.

Doug came over today. We fixed some kinks under the gas tank.

Found some leaks. Fixed them.

Found that the fuel lines in the engine bay were plumbed backwards at the pressure regulator. Fixed that.

Primed it a few times (well, Doug primed it while I watched the fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail).

And it fired up.

So.
Fuel pressure is low. Only 20 pounds. I need to adjust the pressure regulator.
I need to seriously do something about the rats nest of wires in the engine bay.
I need to get a new throttle cable and hook it up so I can start the car from inside the car, and not stand by the engine with my hand on the throttle.

And then I need to actually tune it.

But it is getting CLOSE!

IT RAN!

Zach
r_towle
Congrats, the hard part is over, now it's just time to tidy up the mess.

Way to go!
mepstein
beerchug.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 27 2016, 05:34 PM) *

But it is getting CLOSE!

IT RAN!

Zach

Getting closer to driving-girl.gif smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
wub.gif smilie_pokal.gif
aircooledtechguy
Way to go Zach!! beerchug.gif
914itis
Look like the mystery 914 is finally driving-girl.gif to Hershey..
piratenanner.gif
gms
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 27 2016, 07:34 PM) *

It. Ran. Today...

Great news hope to see it running at Hershey swap meet
jpnovak
Nice! Now start tuning and go drive.
914dave
beerchug.gif keep going, you're close now.
wndsnd
Hershey autox!

Way to go Zach!
saigon71

Kick ass. This is great news!!! beerchug.gif
Dion
Congrats Zach. Expect ya at Hershey then. Way to go.
Michelj13
Good Times ahead :-) Have fun tuning, you will learn so much!
VaccaRabite
I'm back from Hershey and exhausted. But there is an update to the saga.

The car moved under its own power this weekend.

Scott, Mike, ans Stephen helped me with it Friday before we went to Hershey for the weekend - and I was trading PMs with Mark during down time at the big swap meet.

Where it is:

there are two critical path items that need addressed:
1) The shifter needs adjusting. Its out of phase and needs help. When you can get it in first, it pops out. It will find 3rd and 5th fine. R, 2, 4 are missing.

2) it runs really strong but at too high an idle (1500rpm warmed up.) needs tuning.

Once those 2 things are done I can start gently driving the car and tuning it.
And then aggressively driving the car an tuning it.
And then I can make it look pretty again. :-)

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.