Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zach's Carbs to Microsquirt conversion thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
wndsrfr
Geez, you're working fast Zach....good to see that bung is working out--it's pretty meaty & shouldn't have warped much if any. Which wideband are you going to be using?
VaccaRabite
Yeah man, it worked great.

It took very little time to clean it up and get it all round again. Made for easy welding.

I got to work today way early (easy as I was working from home today) and was done by one. Had to be ready to help my wife out this afternoon. I figured I would get as much done on it until she got home. As it was, I had three solid hours to work, and I was just finishing the first coat of paint when she drove up.

Zach
McMark
You didn't warp it. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 22 2012, 08:28 PM) *

You didn't warp it. biggrin.gif

Wow! You weld like I do Zach. My brother (aerospace welder) says "it looks like a chicken flew over and shit those welds" when I tried welding. I showed him though... After that comment, he had to do all my welding! av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
My welds are not pretty. But they hold just fine.
I don't do it enough to get pretty.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 23 2012, 02:12 AM) *

My welds are not pretty. But they hold just fine.
I don't do it enough to get pretty.

Me too...
VaccaRabite
Triad muffler now has 4 coats of paint. After I out the kids to bed I laid some more down as it is a warm fall evening.
It looks brand new.
This part is done.
VaccaRabite
Just updated my project plan.
I have reached the tipping point!
I am 50.25% complete with my EFI conversion.

Yes. I am a nerd. So what? The project plan keeps me from diverging too much.
saigon71
Kick ass! Looking forward to seeing your car on the road again Zach. beerchug.gif
aircooledtechguy
Way to go Zach!! beerchug.gif Having fun AND making progress. That's a combo for great results!!
VaccaRabite
Just got a call from Joe that my tin was done at the powder coater.
Finished paying Mark this AM for his EFI kit.
Good thing I get paid Friday!

Now all I need is the call saying my heads are done.
Right now I think that call could wait two weeks before that lump of cash falls out of my hands.
jsayre914
I cant wait to pick up your tin piratenanner.gif

I advise you to stop by Warrior each and every day, till the heads are done.
(Good Luck)

beerchug.gif beer3.gif driving.gif
jsayre914
I do believe we deserve some pictures sir.....

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
I got my Tins from joe last night. Yesterday I also got a call that my heads were done. I won't be able to get them until next Friday. But they are done!

Soon the engine will be back to a long block!!!
VaccaRabite
Got my heads today. Woot!
I need to CC them in case the CC value changed.

What's left? A lot. But getting closer.
Need to buy some more stuff.
Exhaust seals. CV gaskets. CV washers etc.
CC the heads and put them on the block.
Check pushrod geo to see if I need to cut new ones.
Pressure test my SSI exchangers to see if it is safe to hook heat back up.
Get the EFI stuff from Mark and install what needs to be installed before the doghouse and tins go back together.
Put the power train back together.
Get it in the car.
Oil
Gas
Drive
Tune

McMark
I'll ship off your crank sensor ASAP. wink.gif
jsayre914
C,mon Zach

show us some HEAD !!!!
jsayre914
Is it finished ???

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
Everyone but Erin at home right now is sick. I still need to get the stuff to CC the heads.
Did some work on the lathe, but that's about all I had the energy to do.

Zach
VaccaRabite
I should have the stuff I need to CC the heads Monday.
Got assorted small parts needed when you put an engine back in sourced.

Only stuff left to buy is ethanol proof fuel line, a few more FI hose clamps, pressure regulator, and a new VDO oil pressure sender. And new cut-to-length pushrods if my geometry changed. Which I will find out when I put the old ones back into place and check my geometry.

What is the pressure regulator that people like? Mark, am I going to be pushing somewhere between 28 and 30 psi fuel? Or More? Or less?

Zach
McMark
Stock works. wink.gif
VaccaRabite
I don't think I have a stock regulator.

Off to the For Sale section!

Zach
McMark
Got you covered. I have plenty.
VaccaRabite
Woot!

Zach
VaccaRabite
CCed my heads today. Came out to between 60 and 61cc per head.
This will lower my compression ratio from 9.2:1 to 8.6:1. A little higher then stock but not much. Wonder if I will be able to get away with 87 gas now instead of the 93 I had been using. Before headwork they were at 56cc. I could have them fly cut a hair, but I think the slightly lower compression might be good for me.

My deck is at .040 and I don't want to go tighter then that.
Dr Evil
With a deck at 40, you should be fine with 87.
VaccaRabite
IPB Image
back heads both say 56, which was incorrect... There was a 4CC bubble. I remeasured and they came out at 60 and no bubble.

The plate I cut out of a sheet of 1/4 inch acetate.
Zach
OU8AVW
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2012, 05:25 AM) *

A quick update.

Yesterday I picked up a used, but in excellent shape, Triad muffler from one of our local members.

I have made 2/3rds of the payment to McMark for his excellent Microsquirt driven EFI and electronic spark. Will be paid off by the end of the month.

I stopped by my machinist today and he promised my heads would be done next week. Of course, its easy to say "next week."

I gave my engine tin to Joe to take to his powder coater in Baltimore. They did a great job on his stuff.

This is really starting to move together. I'm getting excited.

Does he use Chesapeake Coatings? Those guys are incredible. They have like four ovens the size of two car garages for big military contracts. Cool place to visit.
VaccaRabite
Got a small box from Mark today!!!

IPB Image

Its not everything, but it will get me back working this Friday after I get the kids to bed. I'm now one sensor away from being able to get the engine back in tins!

Let me just say that this trigger wheel is a really WELL made part. I expected goodness, and my expectations were exceeded. Looking forward on getting it bolted on to the crank!

Zach
VaccaRabite
I got more stuff today!!!
Original Customs 100% eFI kit. Let McMark take the engineering out of your eFI project.

IPB Image

New fuel injectors? Coil on Plug? Hell yeah!
IPB Image

Prebuilt wire harness? Yup.
IPB Image

O2 sensor included? You better believe it.
IPB Image

Weathertight Microsquirt controller? Included. Can you say mounted in the engine compartment with no worries? Yes you can.
IPB Image

There are a couple things that I am missing yet, but I can start taking chuncks out of this job for real now.

Zach
Dr Evil
Eh, you'll still fuck it up poke.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 7 2013, 09:55 PM) *

Eh, you'll still fuck it up poke.gif

So... Hows the bus doing? (pot, meet kettle)

Zach
Dr Evil
I have been busy mad.gif
saigon71
Looking like the parts are rollin in Zach. beerchug.gif Following this thread closely. If the D-jet causes me a lot of headaches after the car is on the road, I may look into megasquirt.
JimN73
Glad to see that you got your stuff from Mark. He's still working on my harness and it looks like we'll need an AAR to help with cold starts.

He tried one (AAR) on my engine and it idled too high. Might need some kind of restrictor.
FourBlades

Nice looking setup!

I can't remember, are you going ITB or common plenum?

John
VaccaRabite
Common plenum off a 1.8. The impetus for this was to cut back on the howl ITBs and webers caused.

Jake said that the 1.8 plenum can support up to a 2.4 liter plant, so my little 2.0 should be just fine.

Zach
Ductech
Dude.... All this work and you could have like a way newer motor..... stirthepot.gif
VaccaRabite
This car will always have a T4.
When the 2056 gets tired i'll build it to a 2270.
And the FI will work on that too.
Zach
cgnj
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 8 2013, 08:16 PM) *

Common plenum off a 1.8. The impetus for this was to cut back on the howl ITBs and webers caused.

Jake said that the 1.8 plenum can support up to a 2.4 liter plant, so my little 2.0 should be just fine.

Zach

Zach, where did you find this nugget? Same true for 2.0 plenum? I think 1.8 would be much easier if one was thinking of MAF.

Carlos
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 10 2013, 06:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 8 2013, 08:16 PM) *

Zach

Zach, where did you find this nugget? Same true for 2.0 plenum? I think 1.8 would be much easier if one was thinking of MAF.

Carlos

I have been pondering this project for nearly 2 years now and asked a TON of questions here, STF, and Jake's forums.

Jake let me know where he had found the limits of the 1.8 plenum to be, but I forget if it was here or on his forums.

Needless to say, my options were a 1.7 plenum or a 1.8 plenum as i have 4 bolt heads. And when i stumbled on a 1.8 full system, I knew where I was going to go. Eventually I do want to build this engine to a 2270 or a 2.3L plant, but there are going to be years inbetween finishing this and doing that.
VaccaRabite
My engine is back to being a long block for the first time in a year!!!!

Now I just have 5 billion wires and such that I need to figure out. Was getting cold (its spring, warm the F up weather!) and overwhelmed. But I did get a lot done tonight.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Yesterday I double checked my pushrod geometry.

Since I had headwork done, I thought it would be prudent. And its a good thing I did.

All of my pushrods were still within +/- 5% of the advertised lift of my cam - except the #3 Exhaust, which was short and has to be recut. I think I have an extra cut-to size push rod somewhere. I'm glad I checked!

Stange thing was that all of them looked good at 1/2 lift, even the one that was a bit short.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Since I have not added pic in a while...
IPB Image
Crank fire!

IPB Image
What dizzy?

IPB Image

The knob is on the wrong side. Not going to change it unless the tin does not fit. It not like I will have to adjust a dizzy any longer...
McMark
The distributor block off will stay in without the clamp. But, it doesn't really matter. wink.gif

I would shorten your oil pump studs. If you have to do any work on it in the car, you'll thank me. BTDT.
VaccaRabite
Haha!
I knew I had some cut to length pushrods laying around. it only took my 5 minutes to find them while waiting for oil on my mower to drain. Even found the adjustable one.

Now I just need to get fuel hose and spark plugs! And the guts to start hooking up the new electronics.

Zach
saigon71
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 9 2013, 08:26 PM) *

Haha!
I knew I had some cut to length pushrods laying around. it only took my 5 minutes to find them while waiting for oil on my mower to drain. Even found the adjustable one.

Now I just need to get fuel hose and spark plugs! And the guts to start hooking up the new electronics.

Zach

Looking good Zach. Nice catch on the valve lift. Any chance your car will be at Hershey this year? With Joe's hammered valve seat and my never ending battle with rust, it would be nice to have some local 914 representation at the car show! beerchug.gif
914itis
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Apr 9 2013, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 9 2013, 08:26 PM) *

Haha!

Zach

Looking good Zach. Nice catch on the valve lift. Any chance your car will be at Hershey this year? With Joe's hammered valve seat and my never ending battle with rust, it would be nice to have some local 914 representation at the car show! beerchug.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
All pushrods are now in-spec. :-)

And I have new goodies for the car "while I'm in there."

Including the firewall back shifter upgrade for my Rennshift!
And new brakes from Erc.
And wheel studs to replace the lug bolts.

Cause... you know if I keep buying things for the car I can ensure it never actually gets completed. Like the Winchester Mansion.

Zach
VaccaRabite
IPB Image
My 5 year old replaced all 16 lug bolts with wheel studs today. So easy, a pre-K kid can do it. All I did was follow behind and torque them in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weqJJxFqHUE

IPB Image
Then he drove the car back into the bay while I pushed!

Today was a very good day. Did not get anything done on the engine, but my son was so happy to b able to help with the car.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.