Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Packing front bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I am in the process of packing the front bearings to complete my changeover to five lugs and carrera front suspension.

What is the preferred lube to pack these with?

Thanks
lmcchesney
Echo,
I've always used a good grade of Axle grease from the FLAPS. I have not used lithium grease for the wheel bearings. There is a special grease for the CV joint but the axle grease has worked for me thus far.
L. McC
Eric_Shea
Me uses Mobil 1. The red stuff. Pep Boys has it...
echocanyons
Will a moly-lube work?

I have mostly cleaned the hub of the old lube, I remember hearing that one shouldnt mix lubes is it ok if there is a very small amount left the only way that I could see to get rid if the rest is soak it in gas or something.

I was going to use the swepco stuff but I would have to wait a week or so for it to be delivered because I cant find it locally
Eric_Shea
BTW... Carrera front ends don't work very well with 914's. Send it to me and I'll swap you for one that will bolt right up... cool.gif
echocanyons
Thanks for the offer Eric! wink.gif

I'm going with the mobil 1 stuff

Thanks for the info
Eric_Shea
You should really send me that front end... confused24.gif
echocanyons
I replaced the bearings/races.

I picked up a set of hubs and figured it would be best just to freshen them totally.

I finished packing and reinstalling the hub and rotors on the strut and tried to mount the caliper(boxster) but the adapter bolts I have are the wrong size so that ended my work for the night.

The Mobil 1 stuff seems to be pretty good, I think it was the same stuff I scaped out of the old one so I didnt bother going overboard on removing every last bit of the old stuff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.