Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend Projects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave-O
Thank you to whoever posted the part # for the freightliner weather stripping that replaces the inner door seals. I tried it out and took a few pictures. Total cost: $18.50 (my mom's business gets a discount from the local dealer) It doesn't look exactly like the origional but it works fine for me.

Here is a before shot...yuck barf.gif . It was embarassing when autocross instructors would ride in my car and see that on the floor.
Dave-O
Here is a shot of how the weatherstripping comes from Freightliner, one big piece that you must cut to fit.
Dave-O
and here's the pic...
Dave-O
Here is the profile of the new stuff. It's a lot thicker than the original but that may be because my seals had been compressed for the last 34 years.
Dave-O
Here is a comparison of the new and old.
Dave-O
I also put in a set of 3 point non-retractable belts. Excellent quality but the buckles look like huge airplane belts! I like them because i can really strap myself in for autocross.
Allan
Nice. does it interfere with the door? Closes easy but tight, etc?
Dave-O
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 25 2004, 02:55 PM)
Nice. does it interfere with the door? Closes easy but tight, etc?

The door takes a little more effort to close. But before if the door would slam it would hammer into the jam. I think that's just because my old seals were soo bad. Now it has a little more cushion, which i prefer.

David
lmcchesney
Dave,
Does the new weatherstriping run from the front to bottom to rear of the door jam?
What difficulty did you have anchoring the stripping?
L. McC
Dave-O
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Jul 25 2004, 04:42 PM)
Dave,
Does the new weatherstriping run from the front to bottom to rear of the door jam?
What difficulty did you have anchoring the stripping?
L. McC

The roll is long enough to do both doors just like the original with about 6" extra. The "C-channel" is metal-reinforced like the originals. It simply presses on the body seam. Takes about 15 min to install. A small rubber hammer is helpful to make sure it is fully seated on the seam. This really is a perfect replacement if you're not worried about maintaining an exact original appearance and on a budget.

David
Dave-O
Here is the tag that came on them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.