Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to shime up lettering on engine grill?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfish914
Is there a safe way to bring back the shine to the PORSCHE lettering on the engine deck lid???
I have finally finished the GT style lid and went to put the letters on and they look old. I know they are 37 years old, however the lid looks brand new now.

They are in pretty good shape with minimal scratches but parts of them look a little hazy.

thanks for any help
Phoenix-MN
Soap and water, if you try to polish them too much you will go right through the gold.
RON S.

The Aluminum letters and most other aluminum trim is what is typically called "bright dip anodized"

It looks great until the sun,UV,ozone,ETC.... starts to turn it hazy.

Once it's hazy, all the shining in the world will never remove so much of smidgen of the haze.

The only solution is to have them replated. Which means stripping the coating off, and reapplying the bright dip.

I have my gold letters off at a plater having them refinished. you can figure about 25 bucks a letter to replate.

Good Luck,
Ron
kfish914
Thanks.
The Letters I have are silver. I was able to make them shine a little better with some detailing spray. It is really just a spray on wax for the most part. I will take a picture and post later.

Thanks again for your help.
CMONNETT
I bought a brand new set of silver letters from my local dealer for under $40 a little over a year ago. You might be surprised what you can still get, and how much it is from the dealer.
GeorgeRud
Leave them off and have people guess what kind of car you have. Most folks won't have clue these days, it's kind of fun!
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 13 2011, 12:50 PM) *

Leave them off and have people guess what kind of car you have. Most folks won't have clue these days, it's kind of fun!

agree.gif

Thats what I do and its fun seeing their faces trying to figure out what kind of car I drive
kfish914
That is true, most people don't know what it is when they see it. Most people don't even see mine because it hasn't seen the road in way too many years sad.gif

I thought about not putting them on to match the look of the "GT" lid, as they did not have the letters
Here is a picture, not perfect but I like it. I know the letters are not in the correct position but I wanted to see what they looked like closer together. Not sure which I like better.
Click to view attachment

thanks again I think I will check out geting new ones if they are that cheap. I beleive the silver started in 74. I think just coated plastic.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.