Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your wings!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
300 RWHP - gonna be a fun in a 1800 lb car, huh?!

so...thoughts on downforce? I'm gonna need a way to keep Papa planted. Need some ideas of a wing/splitter.

Pictures? Options?

Here's a picture of Papa Smurf:

Click to view attachment

TIA
URY914
GT Racing has a good 914 wing system.
naro914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 12 2011, 10:28 PM) *

GT Racing has a good 914 wing system.

Really? I never found anything on their website.
carr914
They definately do - Their Uprights are a little Crude though

Van914
Click to view attachment
sean_v8_914
rename this the ultimate 914 wing collection
all these examples are flying in clean air above the stream
be ready to make spring changes again
Has anyone ever studied teh rudder effect that a wide upright might have at speed?
PeeGreen 914
No a great picture of the wing but one of my favorite 914s smile.gif
naro914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 13 2011, 12:38 PM) *

all these examples are flying in clean air above the stream
be ready to make spring changes again

Good points.

My first race at CMP in a few weeks will be wingless, so we'll see how it goes. I have to balance functionality with looks - Nadine doesn't want the 'kid ricer erector set' look. And hey, gotta do what she wants.....she makes all the money in the family. smile.gif

We were thinking of using a 996 cup wing. Size is good, and fairly available. Besides, it was designed by Porsche, so you know a lot of research went into it. That was the recommendation of Autometrics...

The two silver ones above have my body kit too I think...

I like the side intakes and front cooler air over the hood in the # 286 above
sean_v8_914
996 cup wing is designed to fly in the slip stream (dirty air). some rules limit wing height due to the obvious advantage that clean air offers. that 996 wing is a serious engineering feat. I think they were limited on surface area also. clean air wing design is simple when compared to a successful low wing design

that air exit type is well proven in 917, GT40 ect...I want to do my v8 radiator exit that way

Roger's wing is huge AND he runs a Gurney flap, wow. notice how flat he runs the angle of incedence while 286, 13 and 170 run a steep angle. when we measured force I was astonished at how quickly it ramps up above 120 mph even with little incedence.

who's rule book do you build to?
naro914
PCA club racing GT class.... i.e. displacement to weight. All else is basically free...

I know the air exit is a good idea. I've just been leery about cutting into a carbon fiber hood... And I need to change the oil cooler set up...
URY914
Go big or go home.....

Click to view attachment
jhadler
Of the pics shown here so far, I think I would try to emulate some of the designs used with car #80 or #998. The adjustable angle of attack is likely to be something you will want (easier than changing springs). And you will certainly want the wing up in the clean air. But balance with a good splitter will be important.

-Josh
sean_v8_914
isnt 80 the v8 guy that shows up at willow alot? same look but I dont recall the stripe
carr914
Just buy a few cans and build your own biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Randal

Great wing. Check out the single cross member.

Click to view attachment
sean_v8_914
that wing is huge...how much does it weigh wink.gif
Randal
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 15 2011, 09:34 AM) *

that wing is huge...how much does it weigh wink.gif

It was CF, so not much. The upstands were alumimum.

Don't have the car anymore, so can give you an exact weight.
sean_v8_914
that wing poke is aimed at Ury914
the beast wing is reasonable looking
URY914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 15 2011, 01:33 PM) *

that wing poke is aimed at Ury914
the beast wing is reasonable looking

My wing weighs less than yo momma.
Russ
What about this one? It is very nice... drooley.gif

How much did you say Nadine makes??? santa_smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

Brett W
APR makes some nice wings, they are used throughout SCCA, NASA, World Challenge, Grand Am, etc.

I sell a wing that is SCCA GT legal, I do a carbon version and Fiberglass version, the wing comes with end plates and you could cut your own as well, plus wing mounts. According to the calculations of my aero guy at 150mph it will generate around 400lbs of negative lift with a drag rating of under 40lbs.

I installed one on a GT2 RX7 and we ran it at just under 15 degrees for the first test session and the driver complained about the steering getting light at top speed. We had to back it down slightly to balance out the car with the front splitter. Driver liked it better with it down around a 10degree angle of attack.

Britain Smith
Got any picture Brett? How much downforce does it make at 60mph?

-Britain
sean_v8_914
wind resistance being non linear and what not....an AX wing should be huge ALA Ury914 or sprint car type with steep angle of attack and can be mounted lower on a non windshield car that will not be drafting in traffic.
sean_v8_914
I love that Ron Mistak 914 GT 1
Brett W
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Oct 18 2011, 01:40 AM) *

Got any picture Brett? How much downforce does it make at 60mph?

-Britain

Yup, see attached. I don't think I have a close picture of the wing itself though. I built the mounting system according to customer request. He wanted to make it removable to so he could keep running HSR. I made the end plates significantly larger than the spec plates because we were running in an unlimited class.

My recollection was wrong, there is only a 3.24lb drag penalty, at 150mph it will generate 475lbs of negative lift at a 10 deg angle of attack. I can't find the chart for the wing data, so I don't have the graph of numbers through the speed range.

If your using it for Autox, I would look for something bigger and just accept the drag penalty. Something in a multi-plane, look at the Unlimited cars, copy their setups. They will be really effective at parking lot speeds.
J P Stein
Mistak's wing is the only one close to legal in SCCA AX out side of A Mod.
Heater Guy
This is a 68" wing from Paul Brown (Tiger Racing).

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
spare time toys
here is a couple from my way back file. I wish I could have finished this one sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jan 16 2012, 08:03 PM) *

here is a couple from my way back file. I wish I could have finished this one sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I like the (safe) cage in the second picture. That would make a good hill climb car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.