Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worth $400?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
1975 with 1.8L. Engine supposedly turns over (not running). Body is reportedly rusted out. Worth $400 as a parts car?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Dr Evil
I can see two parts off the bat that you can sell; center console with gauges and the side mirror. Check Ebay for completed sales on parts that you see on this car and decide if you can make a profit.
billh1963
Local scrap value around here is $350....I'm thinking it might be better to buy it and save some parts than see it scrapped.
fasthonda
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 13 2011, 04:45 AM) *

Local scrap value around here is $350....I'm thinking it might be better to buy it and save some parts than see it scrapped.

If you buy it I'll give you $200 for the title, Vin plate, and transmission. I just don't want to deal with hauling and disposal.

Michael
scotty b
What wheels are on it ?? That could be the deciding factor
JRust
QUOTE(fasthonda @ Oct 13 2011, 05:48 AM) *

If you buy it I'll give you $200 for the title, Vin plate, and transmission. I just don't want to deal with hauling and disposal.

Michael

I'm going to assume that is a joke av-943.gif

As far as worth the $400 sure it is worth that. For me I wouldn't waste my time with it. Unless you needed some of the parts specifically. Core motor is worth a couple hundred, tranny $1-200 & center console $75-200 depending on it's shape. Not a whole lot else worth your time. I'd pull all the brake calipers to send Eric at PMB. He is always needing cores
scotty b
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 13 2011, 05:00 AM) *

What wheels are on it ?? That could be the deciding factor

Never mind, I missed the steelie in the last pic
wingnut86
I'll give you $60 for a complete rear sway bar setup if it has one.

$100 for both front and rear if they aren't bent more than designed.

You almost at $400 yet?

Maybe Michael and I can help you cut her up for salvage metal and you can sell any usable parts on here or Ebay?

Dave

wingnut86
Can you clear the junk off the center console and seats and take pictures of both?

Maybe front and rear swaybars or suspension setup front and rear?

Dave
r_towle
nope
pete-stevers
perhaps the question to ask is....do i need this, i bought a parts car for 400 badly rusted w a 1.7...
and used a bunch of parts off it...
so ask is it a need or a want biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 13 2011, 08:45 AM) *

bill, it that local here in beaufort? offer them $200 to get it out of there for them,

if you have a place to put it- any history of when and why it was parked? any service on engine and transmission- could be worth it for those items- lots of surface rust, - take the rockers off - look under the seats, what do the floors look like? console, other gauges, mirrors, i'm sure you can find 400 in it, whether its worth it or not, that's up to you. - it might be salvagable if the longs are not rusted out- hell hole etc.

phil
Rand
Worth $400? Not to me, not that car. I value my time, and the time it would take to part that one out wouldn't turn enough net profit to be worth dealing with it.
Elliot Cannon
Offer them $200 and haul it home. Lots of easy stuff to get off of it. Steering wheel, tailight housings, center consol, gauges, etc. Be sure to get the VIN for the data base.
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 13 2011, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 13 2011, 08:45 AM) *

bill, it that local here in beaufort? offer them $200 to get it out of there for them,

if you have a place to put it- any history of when and why it was parked? any service on engine and transmission- could be worth it for those items- lots of surface rust, - take the rockers off - look under the seats, what do the floors look like? console, other gauges, mirrors, i'm sure you can find 400 in it, whether its worth it or not, that's up to you. - it might be salvagable if the longs are not rusted out- hell hole etc.

phil

Car is mid-state. I would have to haul it. From my understanding the car is rusted out and beyond repair. My thoughts are to pull console, gauge cluster (150 speedometer), mirror, headlight motors, engine/transmission, gas tank, sway bars (if any), calipers, top, and a few other small parts and scrap the rest. I can get around $200+ at the scrap yard for the remnants so it would be worth it to me.
rick 918-S
$ 200.00 max unless your time to haul, dismantle, clean and store parts is worth less than nothing. Core engine/transaxle, one oval lens cover, a parched console, a dried out steering wheel, everyone has more glass than they can break, the targa top may clean up, the blower motor is likely ok but they hold up well so... confused24.gif Both tail light lenses are cracked, The housings very few need....

Same thing happened here about 3 months ago. A local car popped up on craigslist. I went to see the car. Total crap as usual. Seller didn't list a price. I offered $ 100.00. He was insulted and ended up not selling the car. At least not to me. People think just because it say's Porsche it's worth gold or something. It's a rust heap they don't want to deal with but can't seem to take off the beer googles long enough to get a grip on reality. wacko.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 13 2011, 03:30 PM) *

$ 200.00 max unless your time to haul, dismantle, clean and store parts is worth less than nothing. Core engine/transaxle, one oval lens cover, a parched console, a dried out steering wheel, everyone has more glass than they can break, the targa top may clean up, the blower motor is likely ok but they hold up well so... confused24.gif Both tail light lenses are cracked, The housings very few need....

Same thing happened here about 3 months ago. A local car popped up on craigslist. I went to see the car. Total crap as usual. Seller didn't list a price. I offered $ 100.00. He was insulted and ended up not selling the car. At least not to me. People think just because it say's Porsche it's worth gold or something. It's a rust heap they don't want to deal with but can't seem to take off the beer googles long enough to get a grip on reality. wacko.gif

Around here, the price of scrap is so high the car is worth $300 to $350 as a crushed car. I figured if it can be bought for around that price it would be worth getting some parts off it.

I just hate see see something go to waste......
rick 918-S
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 13 2011, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 13 2011, 03:30 PM) *

Around here, the price of scrap is so high the car is worth $300 to $350 as a crushed car. I figured if it can be bought for around that price it would be worth getting some parts off it.

I just hate see see something go to waste......

Well like the pickers say, " ya gots leave some meat on the bone" You still have to haul it, pick it, clean it, store it, and spend time trying to get some money for the parts you pick off. Trips to the UPS store, boxes padding, what else?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(fasthonda @ Oct 13 2011, 05:48 AM) *
If you buy it I'll give you $200 for the title, Vin plate, and transmission.

Hey, your "Location" says SC, not Atlanta!!! lol2.gif

--DD
wingnut86
Geez Dave - I'm awfended;-)

Hehehe...
Mike Bellis
If you can pull out the wire harness without cutting it, Someone will buy it! $100-200
Drums66
...It's worth buying($200) idea.gif
bye1.gif
bigkensteele
I think that you could make your money back on it at $400, but I also think it depends on what your skills are and what your final goals are. There is no better way to learn these cars than to take one completely apart and pay attention while you are doing it. There is a lot of hardware on these cars that is NLA. I just paid $45 for a used thermostat, and that was a hell of a deal.

In short, if your goal is to just turn a quick buck, it ain't worth it. If you want to start a parts stash, learn about 914s and maybe make a very little bit of money, then go for it.
patssle
Wait, are you in Houston? I just saw something like this on a for sale ad, here. Looks awfully similiar, different pictures though.
dlee6204
Even if you buy it for 400, you could easily make some money off the deal. I'd buy it for 400.
Ed_F
I might be interested in the targa top and all of the weatherstrip! beerchug.gif
nsr-jamie
I could use the taco plate, probably worth around 30 - 40 dollars or so
billh1963
Oh well....mailed a check but he sold the car to someone from Alabama. Hope it wasn't someone from here...karma's a bitch.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 17 2011, 02:12 PM) *

Oh well....mailed a check but he sold the car to someone from Alabama. Hope it wasn't someone from here...karma's a bitch.

yep, it can be, - but there must be something else better for you waiting biggrin.gif

i'm trying to deal on one right now,- its not far from us- can't tell if he's playing me or not - floor is gone rusted thru- barf.gif flintstones like, but no rust in the trunk front is spotless- been sitting out 5 years, blink.gif - i'll tell ya more- pm me.

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 13 2011, 10:51 AM) *

Worth $400? Not to me, not that car. I value my time, and the time it would take to part that one out wouldn't turn enough net profit to be worth dealing with it.

Funny that's how I think too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.