Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muellers VR6 swap project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
I picked up an '96 VR6 to swap into my 914.

Specs of the motor:

6 cylinder, 2.8 liters
175HP w/175 ftlbs of torque (bone stock as of now)
6500 redline (easily 7k with minor work)

not too sure of the wieght of the motor, aluminum head, iron block

overall length of the engine is 21"
the widest part of the block/head assembly is about 9"

with the intake and exhaust, the width of the motor is 20"

from the crank centerline to the top of the motor: 18"
from the crank centerline to the bottom of the pan:8.5"
I half-measured my /4 and from the crank to bottom of the motor mount bar, it looked to be about 8" or so.

it looks like it'll be tight at the top/rear of the engine, it might possibly hit the trunk in the same spot the Chevy V8's distributor hits, luckly, I should have room to move the engine/transmission forward an inch or so if need be.....

front of motor:
Mueller
"drivers" side (once installed)
Mueller
rear of engine
dan10101
Hmm, I'll watch this one closely. This is the swap I would do...
This or a 1.8 turbo...

So, does Momma know? chair.gif
Andyrew
Bow chicka wow now! (if you dont get it, dont worry)

Honestly I never thought an I 6 would fit. This is one of those with the pisonts kinda over lapping.. So its a v6? I remember you talking about it.

You have to be original eh?

So we talking chip and intake, (obvious exhaust..) Or you thinkin turbo? heh heh, Booooooost..

What about those turbo's you have? (they'll fit a SBC, RIGHT? Flip a switch in 4th gear... hehe, bye bye viper)

Dont ask for your radiator back, I know that you know its too big. lol. (I'll make it work for me. I like it sawzall-smiley.gif )

So whats your $$ estimate?

Andrew
Andyrew
GET YOUR OWN DAD.

Then I'll race you. And we'll see who's got the betta swap.

Cus you KNOW that puny 951 wont run with me. biggrin.gif laugh.gif
dan10101
Maybe not, but Mikey will be cleaning up at the autocrosses...
Andyrew
I have enough tire... Why cant I beat him? Like we said, aluminum stuff, and he's not more than 100 lbs lighter than me. I'll have sparse interior, fbg stuff....

I can do it. He can too.
Mueller
Dont ask for your radiator back, I know that you know its too big. lol

I'm looking into the VW Corrado radiator...well, at least a good quality replacement unit....12 or 13 inches tall, and 28 inches wide....perfect fit into the front of the 914......not too sure if it would handle the heat of a higher horsepower V8 or not....the same radiator comes stock with 2 puller fans as well (master/slave fans, one motor, one belt)
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 25 2004, 08:37 PM)
...So its a v6?

technically, it's a straight 6 - IIRC each rod has its own crankthrow.
the 'V' shape is merely an artifact of offsetting every other bore circle.
Jeroen
What gearbox are you gonna use?
Don't tell me you're putting the 914 up on stands again biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
JWest
Mike, these radiators may be too tall at 19", but they are really cheap for a nice aluminum radiator.
Andyrew
He just sold me his 19" tall radiator. Its pretty tall, and needs one heck of a slope to fit correctly in the front. Dont plan on putting anything else in there...

Andrew
andys
QUOTE(James Adams @ Jul 26 2004, 04:12 AM)
Mike, these radiators may be too tall at 19", but they are really cheap for a nice aluminum radiator.

I think all the majors (C&R, Griffin, AFCO, Fluidyne, Ron Davis) make a 15 1/2" or 16" tall radiator that would not require it to be tilted too severely. I seem to recall it may be a Mustang application.

Andy
type47
dan, my fantasy engine swap was a 924 turbo engine until i was told the engine is too long to install in a 914. isn't the 924 turbo just about the same as the vw 1.8T?
lapuwali
Interesting that the water pump is on the back.

You snag the ECU, as well, or are you planning on using MS to power this thing?
phantom914
How do the crank centerline to top and bottom dimensions compare to successsful engine swaps like a SBC? I'd like to know so I can compare my V6.

Andrew
Otmar
That looks like a super engine to use, but is that the timing case on the back?
Rear (flywheel end) clearance sure is going to be "interesting" smash.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing how it fits.
andys
The odd placement of components is due to it being a transverse motor. This may or may not work to your benefit. Keep us posted on your progress.

Andy
Mueller
the water pump is on "front" of the motor, they use a pipe/hose which goes to the "side" and "rear" of the motor.

I'll MS this one, I didn't want to deal with the factory ECU (drive-by-wire throttle body)

now I have to find a Ford 6 to grab the EDIS off of....the VR6 has no distributor, so I have to keep it crankfire ignition.
neo914-6
Mike,
Do you have this link: VW swap
I got my engine recently, hope my/your old tranny holds up... biggrin.gif
Felix
Mueller
all right !!!!

the Kennedy Engineering adapter plate and flywheel showed up to HPH today....I also picked up a Stage II 228mm pressure plate from Brad...thanks
Andyrew
Alright!!!

Just dont take as long as erm.. you normally do... lol
Mueller
i hope to bolt up the transmission to the engine this weekend.........the hardest thing to decide is should I just go all out and start on the conversion or try to get the type IV in the car running perfect and then do the conversion ???? I'm kind of getting tired of working on something i know I'm going to yank out...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 30 2004, 08:46 PM)
i hope to bolt up the transmission to the engine this weekend.........the hardest thing to decide is should I just go all out and start on the conversion or try to get the type IV in the car running perfect and then do the conversion ???? I'm kind of getting tired of working on something i know I'm going to yank out...

(Chant) 6! 6! 6! 6! 6! 6! rocking nana.gif mueba.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 30 2004, 09:46 PM)

I know EXACTLY how you feel....

I hated my T4... working on it was a pain... never could come up with answers...

I got to the point of doing a valve adjustment one day.. and the next day it was worse... then I broke my window... (and my g/f dumped me because I "scared her..".. Im tame if you know me, well cept when I get mad(rare)...).. It was at that point that I decided to stop and start a serious discussion with my parents about the v8 (by parents, I mean no brainstorming with dad.. but a "Mom.. can we do this?" thing...)

I'd say get the 6 running (I know I know... 2-5 months, but its not like you drive it much anyways....).. and map out everything for the 4 turbo and sell it as a project.... But not much we can say to sway your mighty mind of creativity...
mikerose
MUELLER said

Mike Have you told the wife yet biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Mike
SteveSr
Mike,that engine is VERY similar in size to my GM V6 swap. It too was a transverse engine and very tall looking but,my engine lid closes over it very nicely.
I had to cut the fire wall to clear the throttle body and water outlet.
I am using a RX-7 radiator laying down flat and exhausting out the bottom of the trunk. (see Phil Haun's Blue Thunder) Should be a really cool swap smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif clap56.gif beerchug.gif

SteveSr
fiid
Slap the 4 in and drive it while you iron out any other issues with the engine.

You can also put in almost the entire cooling system before you need to pull the 4banger.

Let me know if/when you need a hand. I'm getting better at building motor mounts :-)

Fiid.
Mueller
attempted to bolt on the adapter plate today, not sure if KEP made a mistake or the year of my engine is different than what I told them......I can cut the adapter plate to clear the engine part which is protruding, but i want to talk to KEP before to insure I didn't get the wrong part
Mueller
anotherone
Mueller
lastone
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif cool stuff... how's it going?
Mueller
just waiting to hear back from Kennedy on the adapter plate before I cut away the "offending" material smile.gif

i bought a '73 /4 last night so that I have a teener to drive......the more I thought about it, i didn't want to put the megasquited /4 back in the current chassis since I'd have to pull it back out again to fit the VR6 motor into it.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 14 2004, 06:09 PM)
attempted to bolt on the adapter plate today, not sure if KEP made a mistake or the year of my engine is different than what I told them......I can cut the adapter plate to clear the engine part which is protruding, but i want to talk to KEP before to insure I didn't get the wrong part

YEAH...... sawzall-smiley.gif

I'll be there at 7am..... mueba.gif
mikerose
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 16 2004, 07:30 AM)

i bought a '73 /4 last night so that I have a teener to drive

clap56.gif beerchug.gif mueba.gif driving-girl.gif Cool
seanery
let's see pics mikey!
Mueller
QUOTE(mikerose @ Nov 16 2004, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 16 2004, 07:30 AM)

i bought a '73 /4 last night so that I have a teener to drive

clap56.gif beerchug.gif mueba.gif driving-girl.gif Cool

the wife does not know about it yet smile.gif

this car, but with steel rims instead
(don't think I want to put the enkies on it since I'd have to pull the fenders out...the enkies rub on my white car)
Mueller
oh yea...tan interior which goes well with the green....
rick 918-S
nice score! rocking nana.gif
mikerose
It runs right laugh.gif
Andyrew
Ya!!!

Love it!!!!
Chris914n6
Looks like the water outlets will be a clearance problem with the trunk.
I don't know where I put my notes, but I think my Maxima V6 is a bit bigger on all dimensions.
You're engine lid should not be a problem, you can cut the crossbar if really needed. I didn't need to.

I'll have my engine out to do bay painting et al next month so if you need pics or ??? hit me up.

I get to make a new upper intake manifold this winter... sad.gif I'm trying really, really, hard not to put a turbo in at the same time laugh.gif laugh.gif

As useful as the fab'd upper rad inlet is with it's airbleeder, I sorta wish I used a 96ish Golf rad instead. A little taller at ~14 3/8" but sits flat on top so making a trunk divider would be easier & prettier.

Oh, and don't put the water filler on the pressure side... no matter how well it sits in the bay. wacko.gif Took a long time to figure that bugger out. headbang.gif "Where, O, where is my hot water going??"

Chris
neo914-6

the wife does not know about it yet
laugh.gif
oh yea...tan interior which goes well with the green....

Hey that looks like Patricks car we saw at his shop last weekend.
Felix
Chris914n6
Ok, found my notes...

front to mounting face - 20"
tranny overhang - 8" with 11" from top down
top to bottom - 27.5"
oil filter stuck out the front an extra 1.5" but I went with a remote filter.

With the new manifold, tranny overhang will be about 3" which will keep it out of the trunk.

Chris
Mueller
motor is in the car for test fitting smile.gif

it's going to be tight, right now the transmission is moved about 1" to 1.5" forward....it looks like I'm going to have to modify the trunk wall a little to play it on the safe side...
Mueller
asdf
Mueller
close fit firewall:
Mueller
tight/interferance rear trunk:
Mueller
and last one

another view = tight/interferance rear trunk:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.