Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 conversion for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
dion9146
I'm having a weak moment and have decided to officially put the car up for sale. This isn't easy for me - my hands are slightly shaking as I type this, but I have a wondering eye and keep looking at other rides. I think I just need a change of pace for a while.

So here is the scoop:

The car is a rust free 1974 chassis. There was some usual surface corrosion around the hell hole, but it was structurally sound so I just replaced the hell hole sheet metal and battery tray with new units from Restoration design. I've had a previous 914 that suffered suspension failure due to rust in the hole, so I know what it's all about.

The car was imported from California about 10 years ago. I bought the car off of a friend of mine in Ohio.

The car has gone through multiple engine conversions, and currently has a 1986 Carrera 3.2 powerplant that I installed 2 years ago. The 3.2 has approximately 79K miles on it. Since I have owned the engine, I replaced all of the fuel injection lines, had the injectors cleaned and flow tested, replaced the plugs cap and rotor, replaced the head temp sensor, put in a Patrick motorsports wiring adapter, and installed a CHT into the 914 exhaust. All of these were preventative maintenance or conversion items and were not due to any mechanical issues. The engine is mounted via a Rich Johnson mount, and the tranny is held tight with solid aluminum mounts, and the oil tank is a factory unit with factory lines and 914-6 oil cooler. I also have an external oil cooler controlled by a Mocal thermostat tucked up under the right rear fender. The car runs like a champ and stays within acceptable temp ranges. Modern fuel injection is a wonderful thing. It starts and runs like a 3.2 should. See vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxo9I7j8i4E...der&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQXoDOLYW6k...der&list=UL

The exhaust is a combination of stock 914-6 pipes (no exchanger metal) mounted to a custom two in two out muffler that I built last year. Not too loud, but definitely not stock.

The tranny is a stock 5 speed 901 unit with new syncros in first, second, and third gears. The car shifts very well and has good bushings, etc.

The front suspension is all 5 bolt 911 equipment. The front and rear brakes are vented rotors using 911 M calipers in the front, and the front rotors are drilled. It has a 19mm master cylinder, so the car stops very well. This past Winter, I replaced all of the front suspension bushings with new rubber units and installed ‘new’ spindles and struts. The rear has 180 lbs Weltmeister springs, and all 4 corners are riding on externally adjustable Koni reds. The front wheels are kept on the ground with a Weltmeister through-body sway bar. This thing drives like a go-kart, although I tried to leave some street 'civility' in it by going with rubber bushings and the stock front torsion bars. I've had 914's that were so tricked out that they became unbearable on the street.

The wheels are Fuchs replica 15x8 in front and 15x9 in rear shod with 225 and 245 rubber respectively. The Pirelli tires have about 2500 miles on them.

The interior is in pretty good shape. The dash has no cracks (plus I have a spare dash with no cracks), I recovered the door panels and dash fascia with new vinyl a couple of years back, and installed a new carpet kit last year. The seats are stock, but I also have an older style deep Corbeau racing seat for it as well. I also built a custom 904 style gauge cluster that houses the oil temp, oil pressure, and fuel level gauges. The tach came from the 911 that donated the engine. I have the defrost equipment although it is not installed.

For the most part, the paint is beautiful. The previous owner spent a lot of money on the bodywork and paint, and I know what he put into it. It has a couple of rocks chips, but no dents. The flares are fiberglass and are held on with removable dzus fasteners. That makes it nice when working on the suspension. The only bad part of the body is some small bubbling at the base of each sail panel. The good news is that the bubbles haven’t grown at all in the 5 years I’ve owned it, but they haven’t shrunk either. smile.gif The front and rear lights are euro units, and the driving lights are new Pilot units that I installed last year, although I also still have the stock Porsche units too.

I'm open to interesting trades too, mainly of the Porsche variety. Although I prefer something with 4 seats, anything would be considered. I've been looking at 912s, older 911s and even the odd SC or Carrera. I'd like to get $18K for it but will consider reasonable offers. the car is located just North of Louisville, KY.

A few pics attached. I lost my hard drive a couple of months ago, so all of my good pics are on a backed up portable drive that I haven't restored yet. I can take and send more upon request.

Dion
hwgunner
Great looking car.
Van914
Great looking car and a great price!
Good luck
Van914
Prospectfarms

I just saw this at "Cars and Coffee" last week.

The conversion is really clean, no gunk and all the right parts. Paint and interior are excellent as well.

Engine sounds serious but is not loud.

Nice car, Dion. beerchug.gif

IronHillRestorations
So are you buying my Boxster then? poke.gif Good luck with the sale Dion. Someone is going to get a killer deal! It's like buying everything for a 3.2 conversion, except you get the whole car! AND IT'S A GOOD CAR TOO!!!
dion9146
Thanks guys, i appreciate the kind words. I'm definitely going to stay away from it now and not drive it, or I'll probably pull the add off the table again. smile.gif

Perry, your Boxster is one of the few lately that has piqued my interest. Don't you need another 914? wink.gif

Dion
dion9146
Oh, and I also wanted to add that 'projects' would be considered too in the trade offer as long as the value exchange was equal, etc.
Drums66
......I like that too!....not too over done! shades.gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif flag.gif
tnchris
PM Sent
jhora
Dion...WTF...can't believe you have the 914 up for sale...but if anyone is looking for an excellent conversion this is it...the man did all the right things with this one....it is a well done super machine!
here is a picture next to my 914-6
Good luck with the sale!

dion9146
Thanks John. I still remember that day blasting down 264... Two sixes having fun in traffic. That was cool.

I appreciate the kind words too. See you at breakfast this month?

Dion
biadad
CAN YU E-MAIL ME A TELL # OR CALL ME DIRECT AT 805 300-9997 THANKS curtisofca@verizon.net
dion9146
Added more pics to the following site:

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k498/d...146/914%20pics/
dion9146
Ok boys and girls, she is going to go into hibernation pretty soon and I will 'take her off the market' per se. Hibernation this year will also include some improvements, so buy it now before I put it back on the market next year for more $. smile.gif

Last bump - $17k or best offer.

Dion
dion9146
Tomgray

Sent you a PM. I can't email you my contact info if you don't give me your email address. smile.gif

Dion
earossi
Dion,

Sent you an email last night. Any interest in my offer?

Ernie
dion9146
QUOTE(earossi @ Dec 9 2011, 11:12 PM) *

Dion,

Sent you an email last night. Any interest in my offer?

Ernie

Ernie,

Sorry, didn't get an email from you. Try this:

Dion9146 at insightbb.com

Dion
dion9146
Apparently, sending me emails directly from this board does not appear to be working correctly (I've tried myself). Please send me an email directly to dion9146@insightbb.com

Dion
Gint
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Dec 10 2011, 08:11 AM) *
Apparently, sending me emails directly from this board does not appear to be working correctly (I've tried myself). Please send me an email directly to dion9146@insightbb.com

Dion

That's probably because the email you have registered to your 914world user account is different than that one. It's your gmail address for the record. I should say was your gmail address. I'm going to change it to this address you just posted.
Gint
Done.
dion9146
Thanks, but I knew that already. I changed it today to try to get it to work. So now sending me an email from the board doesn't work going to my insight or gmail accounts. I get the notification of change, but nothing after that.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled car sale....
dion9146
Happy New Year folks. Yes, this car is still on the market. Aside from some low ball offers and even a couple of offers that were rescinded, lots of interest but nothing solid.

I've found another car I want - someone make me an offer that I can't refuse (and I've refused some already. smile.gif )

Dion
dion9146
I finished replacing the third gear synchro this weekend including a new slider between 2nd and 3rd. I also obviously reset the shift fork alignment, and now this car shifts better than ANY Porsche I've ever driven. I spent 45 minutes breaking in the new synchro today and just had a blast on this mild January day.

Oh yes, I also replaced the top, side targa top seals. This car just keeps getting better. smile.gif

Dion
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Jan 22 2012, 07:43 PM) *

I finished replacing the third gear synchro this weekend including a new slider between 2nd and 3rd. I also obviously reset the shift fork alignment,
Dion

You said it that pretty casually like, "I just changed the oil..."

Purdy car, and uber clean.
dion9146
I took me a little longer than that, but wasn't much harder. smile.gif
RFoulds
I am interested. Car is located where??

any more pics you might have especially floor and trunk pans, e-mail to rfoulds@verizon.net

dion9146
It must be tax return season or something, because I have gotten a flood of inquiries on the car lately.

Technically speaking the car is still for sale. However, I'm in the middle of working through a trade deal for an amazing car. The potential buyer has seen mine in person and loves it, so I'm on the hook to see his in person at the end of this month. Based on the details of the car and the videos he has shot for me, I'd have to find a dead body in the trunk to not want this car.

But, this list will be the first to find out if it doesnt sell. smile.gif

Thanks for all of the inquiries.

Dion
rnellums
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Mar 3 2012, 09:09 AM) *

It must be tax return season or something, because I have gotten a flood of inquiries on the car lately.

Technically speaking the car is still for sale. However, I'm in the middle of working through a trade deal for an amazing car. The potential buyer has seen mine in person and loves it, so I'm on the hook to see his in person at the end of this month. Based on the details of the car and the videos he has shot for me, I'd have to find a dead body in the trunk to not want this car.

But, this list will be the first to find out if it doesnt sell. smile.gif

Thanks for all of the inquiries.

Dion

What is the trade for??

-Ross
Gint
Yeah, tell us please. driving.gif
dion9146
If you don't mind, I'd rather keep that between me and the other guy for now. If you really need to know, ask me off line.

Dion
rnellums
Fair enough! Be sure to post a pic once you get it though!
dion9146
Well I've gone and done it. The car will be gone this weekend. Traded for something that I really want. Both buyer and seller are happy. You may see him on this forum, you may not. Either way, he will be a good steward for this car, and he will love it as much as I will miss it. I'm sure he feels the same about his car. It is very special indeed.

Not sure if I'll ever be back after owning 3 914s over a span of 20 years, but I've learned to never say never.

Later guys and gals.

Dion
Prospectfarms
Dion, Please spill the beans, what is your new car? Will you bring it to the Prospect show?
DRPHIL914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
dion9146
IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
Great looking car. I would have made that trade all day long. Have fun!
bcheney
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 15 2012, 09:49 PM) *

Great looking car. I would have made that trade all day long. Have fun!

Looks like both parties made a great deal. Beautiful 912?
BajaXJ92
What a beautiful car, we need more pictures! first.gif wub.gif
nine9three
So you want to sell the 912??????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.